Mounting directly to concrete? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm defying my wife and thinking about moving our 3 year old 50" plasma into our basement. It's not finished, but we have dart boards, a stereo, and a fridge down there, so basically it's a little guy hang out.

Hence the reason to add a tv...

So, as there is no framing, I was thinking of mounting directly to the poured concrete foundation.

Can anybody think of any reason not to? The tv is heavy, and I don't have any experience with tap con bolts.

Could I jeopardize the foundation? Would I be able to support a tilting/swiveling mount? Or would that be risky?

Maybe I should just make a small 2x4 frame?

Any thoughts would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 10:28 AM

Liked: 12
Definitely just frame out a small area to attach the TV mount to wood. While I can't say that something specifically bad would happen, for the little amount of $ and extra time it's better to avoid the potential risk of damaging the foundation wall.

An alternative is to install some blocking between your joists and use a ceiling mount for plasmas if that works with your joist configuration.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 12:37 PM

How thick is the poured concrete foundation? 8-10"?
If so, do not hesitate to anchor directly to it. Even if only 6" thick, the tapcons probably only have a 2" embedment requirement. I would urge you to secure to the foundation wall (en lieu of framing) if you are thinking tilting swiveling mount. The foundation will see so much less vibration and movement than a wood framed wall. The 1/4" tapcons (go with the hex head, so much easier to drive) will hold quite a bit of weight and will perform really well when installed properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzygone View Post

Hello,
I'm defying my wife and thinking about moving our 3 year old 50" plasma into our basement.

Why would she object? Get all the rowdy boys downstairs and she can have the whole upstairs for her Tupperware party, what's not to like? ^)

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #5 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelkilt View Post

How thick is the poured concrete foundation? 8-10"?
If so, do not hesitate to anchor directly to it. Even if only 6" thick, the tapcons probably only have a 2" embedment requirement. I would urge you to secure to the foundation wall (en lieu of framing) if you are thinking tilting swiveling mount. The foundation will see so much less vibration and movement than a wood framed wall. The 1/4" tapcons (go with the hex head, so much easier to drive) will hold quite a bit of weight and will perform really well when installed properly.

I'd guess about 8" or so. I can't see how it'd be any less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Why would she object? Get all the rowdy boys downstairs and she can have the whole upstairs for her Tupperware party, what's not to like? ^)

She doesn't think we should put a TV down there before it's finished... I guess she doesn't get the idea of a man cave. :roll eyes:

So far we're 50/50. Any other input?
post #6 of 6 Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 AM

I had a similiar issue in my house, i live in some older housing with concrete walls. I went to home depot and talked with the Hilti rep on site and he said to use there wall mounts. they basically had a bolt with a sleeve and then a nut on the end you tighten. they were rated for over 500lbs of pull out weight when used in concrete, per bolt. i used 6, 3 on each end of my mount.

i have this mount with a 60in tv and its performed awesome.
http://www.thinkvp.com/products16-19/X-LargeExtendMountVEX

here is a picture of the anchors i used.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100325224/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=hilti+anchors&storeId=10051

depending on the thickness of the bolt, you get more strength. i would recommend these because they were rated for pull out strength vs just hanging strength.

good luck!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Lg 50pg25 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50pg25 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page