NEWBIE Question: Best configuration for multiple inputs to multiple outputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-22-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi-

Newbie here....my apologies in advance. I just bought a new projector (a second output) and also have a question about how to get the surround sound to play for DirecTV (Note: home theater only plays two speakers for DTV).

INPUTS: I have an HD DirecTV DVR and an LG BluRay Theater System (LHB953).

OUTPUTS: I have a flatscreen LG television and a Vivetek Q2 mini-projector (with 3D capabilities).

Questions:

(1) Should I use a 2x2 HDMI switch (1080 dpi) so that I can select the input-output configuration without having to constantly unplug cables?

(2) Do all HDMI switch systems support 3D--which is available through the Vivatek projector?

(3) How do I configure this system so that I can hear surround sound for both the DTV and the BluRay player?

I REALLY appreciate your help in advance. Suggestions for products I might need to purchase are also greatly appreciated. Like just about everyone else in this country, I don't have a ton of money to spend right now... frown.gif

Kind regards and thanks,

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I sort of have the same set up with a panasonic 65st30 and an epson 8350 projector. I have all my inputs blu-ray player, dish network, and pivos, feeding into the inputs on my Onkyo 808 and the single output going into Sewell 1X2 HDMI splitter v 1.3 3d I purchased on Amazon. Those split off to hdmi 1 input on my tv and hdmi 1 input on my projector. The Sewell splits the signal at all times so you don't need to worry about changing the output on the splitter just on your LG Stereo. Since all of your audio/video get routed through the LG when you swap video the audio will also be played to the corresponding one. As far as the rear speakers not working during the Direct channels I suspect it might be a setting within the reciever or the direct box itself.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlarsen View Post

(1) Should I use a 2x2 HDMI switch (1080 dpi) so that I can select the input-output configuration without having to constantly unplug cables?

Yes, that seems like the best answer given your setup. (RANT: I hate these HTiB systems that have *no* HDMI inputs - wouldn't everyone be expected to have an HD set-top box that they'd want to use the audio features of the system, and avoid external switching of video)
Quote:
(2) Do all HDMI switch systems support 3D--which is available through the Vivatek projector?

This is going to be your problem - it's not the switch so much (do make sure the switch lists HDMI v1.3 or better, though) as your non-3D display. Your source device is going to see both displays, notice that one of them doesn't support 3D, and then refuse to output 3D - because it won't work... You'll likely have to unplug the other display and possibly reboot the source to get 3D to work if everything is connected.
Quote:
(3) How do I configure this system so that I can hear surround sound for both the DTV and the BluRay player?

That HTiB at least has an optical digital audio input - run a Toslink cable from the DirecTV box to the HTiB digital input. Then, in the DirecTV setup menu under audio options, make sure "Dolby Digital" is the chosen output option.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page