IR Extender Frequency question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new construction home theater room with a separate media closet. The television and speakers will be in the theater room and the components will be in the media closet: Comcast HR DVR, Bluray player, receiver, computer. I need to control the 4 components in the media closet using an IR Extender. I've run cat6 between the back of the television and the media closet for extending the IR signal. Finally, I'm using a Logitech Harmony remote to control all of the components.

In reviewing the various IR Extender kits their respective frequencies vary. Some are very specific to the 38 Khz range (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011009&p_id=7537&seq=1&format=2) while others cover a very wide spectrum (http://www.hot-link.com/pages/carrier_frequencies.cgi). These two linked above are very different in price but have the same basic functionality. When purchasing a IR Extender do you purchase based upon the acceptable frequencies of your given components or does using a universal remote negate the need for wide ranges in an IR extender?

I'd like to purchase the inexpensive Monoprice extender but am afraid that the lack of frequency range may not work with all of my components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-11-2012, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recommend Xantech, used them alot & they seem like they're compatible with almost everything. Plus the xantect has the terminals where you can connect your cat5 you already ran.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Receivers Amplifiers , Logitech 620 Harmony Universal Remote Control , Monoprice

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page