Suggestions for weird shaped room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-29-2012, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys,

I am planning on turning my basement into a sort of media room. The basement is finished but there's nothing in there, so it's a clean slate. I want to have put down there basically a TV and a good home theater, and of course, a comfy sofa.

However, given the strange shape the room has, I can't seem to come up with an acceptable plan. These are my room's dimensions in meters (feet/inches in parenthesis):

I added the sofa and the TV just because I was trying some stuff, I don't currently have those.

The rectangle on the left side (3' wide) is a built-in bookshelf/cabinet, there are doors opening forward, so I can't put anything too close, and that means the TV has to be on the adjacent wall to its left, where I placed that one now. The one adjacent to its right, south in the picture, has a huge opening to the other room, from the waist up and taking almost the whole width.

Having the sofa in the middle of the room bothers me, but I don't think I have a choice, unless I could push the sofa all the way back and put the rear speakers on the other side of the wall opening - not sure if it would still be too close. If I did that, also, I would have to buy a projector, as the TV would be too far away from the viewer (12' or so).

What you guys think? Do you see any other option that I'm not currently seeing?

Thank you very much for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-30-2012, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 58
room.jpg 18k .jpg file

Why not flip the room vertically?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg room.jpg (18.0 KB, 3 views)
post #3 of 3 Old 06-30-2012, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if that was what you meant by your picture, you seem to have flipped the sofa so it's facing the other wall, but you didn't move the TV... if you mean that, to put the TV on the opposite wall that it is on my picture, as I said, that wall is open from the waist up, so the TV would have to be on a stand and whoever was on the next room would have a terrible view of the back of a huge TV with all its cables... and any touch from behind could make the TV tip over I guess.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page