Need help with Pioneer SW-8 Sub phase / Freq and Volume settings before auto calibration with AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-30-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys my system is now installed and one question I have is Sub settings for my other speakers and AVR.

SW-8 have Volume control, Frequency control and Phase that can go 0 -180 switch

Now my question is before I start automatic calibration on my AVR what I should set this 3 things on ? Volume, Frequency and Phase.

Here are all speakers and AVR.

AV Pioneer: Pioneer VSX-1022-K

Speakers:

Center: Pioneer SP-C21
Bookshelf back: Pioneer SP-BS41-LR
Sub: Pioneer SW-8
Floorstad R L: Pioneer SP-FS51-LR

Thank you very much.

P.S.

I am thinking set volume on MAX also set frequency at MAX (150Hz) and set Phase to 0. Now with volume and frequency I think avr will set all levels on it's side corectly with doing calibration with microphone and phase I really donno just a guess at this point. If someone know settings for this sub together with pioneer speakers i have let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-01-2012, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Oh come on guys noone knows or have similar setup ?
post #3 of 3 Old 07-02-2012, 12:00 PM

Liked: 11
I think the lack of responses may be due to this being the incorrect location for technical setup questions.

Settings to get the AVR to do the most-minimal volume correction possible could vary greatly depending on distance from the mains, subwoofer placement within the room, and numerous other variables.

I do not suggest cranking the sub volume at 100% and letting it go from there, because the AVR will end up over-reducing the signal voltage going to the sub. This is not necessarily good... The same thing would happen if you turned the sub volume to 10% and let the AVR attempt to fix it likewise. Over-amplification of the sub channel possibly to the point of clipping or exceeding the subwoofer inputs.

Since I am familiar with the MCACC routine (vsx-1021 owner), my suggestion would be to toss it in with sub volume at 50%, phase at 0, and freq at max, and run MCACC. Then review the volume adjustments in Adv MCACC that it attributed to the sub channel. You are shooing for the least AVR correction possible.

Example: You run it and it applies a -3db to the sub, turn the sub volume down 15% and re-run.
Example: You run it and it applies a +3db to the sub, turn the sub volume up 15% and re-run.
Example: You run it and it applies a +0db to the sub, play the lottery, come home, crack a cold one and toss in a movie!

--billyM
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page