70's basement home theater makeover - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-02-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first thread at AVS, but I thought it fitting as I am working on a mod of my lovely 70's wood paneled basement into an awesome home theater/bar/family room.

I'll start with some before shots, I just bought this house 2 weeks ago and it came with some relics from yesteryear. The house was built in 1929, and the old bird that lived there/died there had so much stuff, it was actually featured on HGTV. http://www.hgtv.com/video/quirky-collectibles-video/index.html

Ive attached a few photos of the basement as it stood before I moved anything in.

In the right corner of the room, I plan on installing an articulating/swivel mount to mount my 50" in the corner, but also to allow it to lay flat against the wall when I drop the theater screeen. I was originally going to hang it above the fireplace, in which case the screen would drop in front of it, but after holding it up there, it just took up too much room.

About a foot in front of the fireplace, I am going to inset my 120" motorized Screen between the floor joists (they run parallel with the fireplace) with a light weight panel mounted with spring hinges and a light magnet to keep it closed when the screen is up.

I am torn as to how I want to mount the projector. Currently I have a Panasonic PT-AX200U 720p projector, and I think it is too large to inset between the joices with a pneumatic drop down system (so it is hidden), and I really do not want to use my existing drop down mount, I am going to be verifying that later today, but my bet is it isn't, so I am looking for possiby a slim projector to replace. (Open to some suggestions here)

I have an 6:1 onkyo reciever and speakers, however I will be looking to go more seemless, maybe some ceiling mount speakers? (need some suggestions here as well).

I will be painting over the paneling, we haven't settled on a color yet. I have to find something that compliments the brick of the fireplace, or find some way to alter the color of the brick.

The floor is getting a charcoal indoor/outdoor carpet, and the bar area is going to be updated. I haven't decided if I want to go with a irish theme, or stick with the tiki look that it has and just build on it.

To get the feel of the placement of the TV, I have set it up on an old cabinet that was left there:

and a better shot at the bar There is currently rope lighting that pulses lightly with any sounds in the room.

First impressions/thoughts/suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
It looks like a fun space to work with. Lots of character. What kind of budget are you giving yourself?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuaySteve View Post

It looks like a fun space to work with. Lots of character. What kind of budget are you giving yourself?

I am tight on budget right now, just having bought the house - however after Christmas I'll be budgeting 2500-3000 for the needed updates around the house. The biggest part of the cost would be a new projector if I needed one. The speakers and reciever handle my needs (unless I go with ceiling mounted).

In the next few weeks I'll be settling on paint and indoor/outdoor carpet - most likly a charcoal carpet. I'll also be mounting the TV and projector screen.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WL0I1I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A2FI19G9IAJPA5

That is the mount I am looking at for the TV.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-05-2012, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Some "progress" Mounted the projector - I'll need to buy a new bulb (this time not a knockoff from china), but it seems to have survived the move and 1.5 year storage. We settled on colors too! I've included a fancy mock-up from Sherwin Williams.

I need to close up that panel above the projector this week, I'll be adding in a wall mount media/power junction box panel after fishing my cable - I hope to start the paint within the next couple weeks.

I'll be hanging my projector screen this week. Recessing into the drop ceiling, but instead of rigging a panel that would close up and make it seemless, I am just going to mount it flush with the drop, The finished edge of the bottom of the projector screen should be enough.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

I have a conundrum. I have a 120" electronic elite screens screen, however the designated wall for the screen (in front of the fireplace) has presented a bit of a challenge in mounting it. Apparently at some point they added an iron support beam across the basement and it is preventing me from seating the screen up into between the joist.

I could just mount it flush with the ceiling, but its housing is pretty large. Im wondering if I went with a manual screen, would the housing would be a smaller diameter?

Does anyone have any suggestions for dressing up the screen if I have to stick with this screen?

As a side note - has anyone had an issue with the elite screens remote/electric mechanism? I've always left the screen unplugged once set in position because literally any other remote I use activates the screen - which makes for an exciting theater experience for sure! Is there anyway to change the frequency on the screen?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Ceiling painted black - Can't see that I tore down a bunch of paneling in this pic, the wall that runs along the outside brick wall - it had tons of mold behind it - I've sealed it, now to rebuild with blue board and add in my custom movie poster frames
post #7 of 7 Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 AM

Liked: 15
Ver nice work. How do you like your black ceiling? It's the best for viewing but I'm afraid of doing it.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page