Need help setting up "home theater". Please help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-04-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm not much of a techie. I just like to watch movies and play video games. I need help setting up my devices, connecting them.. I have a samsung 55 es8000 3d tv, a samsung 3d bluray player, a samsung e450 soundbar, a ps3, and an hd stb from verizon.. Do i need an avr? If so, what's a good one that would be enough for me.. I might add some speakers later on.. As much as possile, i want to use hdmi and lesser remote controls to use.. I would appreciate any help.. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 78
It looks like you have 3 HDMI on that TV. So you wouldn't *have* to get a receiver. But I'd recommend a Universal Remote of some sort. This way you wouldn't care so much how everything is wired up. Let the remote worry about that

Lots of people like the Logitech Harmony line. I have the Harmony "One". Check out the thread sometime. There's some 10,000 odd post to read biggrin.gif
post #3 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I think if you connect all your devices via HDMI to the TV, and connect the soundbar's HDMI out to the TV's HDMI input #2 (ARC), you should be set. You'll need to enable AnyNet on the TV and check some settings there to enable ARC (HDMI's audio return channel) so that all audio received by the TV is routed to the soundbar. Look in the soundbar and TV manuals about this... The good news is that since it's all recent gear from one company, you've got a good chance of it working like its supposed to!

Adding an AVR would also mean replacing your soundbar, as it's a self-powered speaker that wouldn't be compatible with any AVR.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

@NickThe Great: thanks for the reply, i'll take a look at the logitech harmony remotes.. i currently have around 5-6 remotes from all these devices, would help if i can narrow it down to 1-2..

@jautor: thanks for the reply, will try your suggestions later when i get home. just a quick question though: do i still need an optical cable if i'm using hdmi to connect tv and sound bar? right now, i'm just using regular speaker cables.. it seems to be working across all devices attached to tv through hdmi (stb and ps3/bluray-i'll probably need an hdmi switcher for these 2 if i'm going to need an hdmi for the soundbar).. let me know what you think..
post #5 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Don't think so, HDMI should carry everything, but not 100% clear if it's getting 5.1 from the other sources via HDMI-ARC or not. You might try a test with both and see if you hear any difference (should be obvious). Don't forget there's also an HDMI input on the soundbar itself you can make use of.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Don't think so, HDMI should carry everything, but not 100% clear if it's getting 5.1 from the other sources via HDMI-ARC or not. You might try a test with both and see if you hear any difference (should be obvious). Don't forget there's also an HDMI input on the soundbar itself you can make use of.
Jeff

thanks for reminding me about the hdmi input on the sound bar.. totally forgot about it..

here are my current connections: (pls feel free to make any suggestions)
stb to tv through hdmi 1
tv to sound bar through hdmi 2(arc)
bluray player to sound bar through hdmi
anynet+ enabled on all devices
i just have to get another hdmi for ps3 to be connected to hdmi 3 on tv

(btw, tried to use both hdmi (arc) and optical cable, the sounbar would only recognize the tv arc.. went with the tv arc instead)
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page