New Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-04-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to put a new home theater in my home and I'd like some input before I purchase anything.

My room is about 21 feet wide and about 10 feet deep. The TV and couch are on either end, so approximately 9 feet from each other, both against the wall. Here is a basic idea of what the room is like: http://i.imgur.com/osCvc.png

I'm leaning towards a 5.1 system, specifically the Boston Acoustics Classic II. I'd also get the Denon AVR-1612 receiver.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. I'm by no means set on the speakers or the receiver, but after looking around they seemed like they would be what I'm looking for. I'm pretty set on a 5.1 system, so if anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-06-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I'd figure out how to run the speaker wires before buying the equipment. I wouldn't want any cables visible, but that's admittedly picky.

If you want to step up in price, you can get upgraded L-C-R fronts, and some less expensive rear surrounds, with a separate subwoofer.

Any other source equipment you might need? Blu-ray player? Think about where everything will sit, or be mounted. On-wall display? Or sitting on a cabinet? Where will the center channel be located?

Do the speakers need to be shallow, if on-wall? Would you consider in-wall rear speakers, for aesthetic reasons? If you're going to run cables in the walls, you might as well use in-wall speakers.

Don't use the speaker wires that come with the speakers, if you're installing in-wall - you'll need in-wall rated cables for that.

You may want to piece together the system over the next couple years, starting with nicer L-C-R speakers and old whatever speakers for the rears. Then, add a subwoofer. Then, replace the surrounds.

Just a few thoughts.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page