Help with HDMI audio sync issue - external processor? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-04-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I installed all of the equipment for my theater on the floor below so that only the speakers and TV are in the main viewing room. I have the output from the Verizon FIOS box fed directly into the receiver. Then the speaker wires feed off from there, as well as the HDMI out to the TV. The issue is that the run to the speakers and the TV is about 35 feet. This is a long HDMI run. The picture quality is great - no issues there. But audio/video sync is not great. My receiver does not have any audio sync correction. Is there an external processor box that allows you to adjust the audio sync over HDMI? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Audio sync problems are normally caused by the display taking a long time to process the incoming video. Try disabling any "picture improvement" features in the TV. Also, if your cable box has the ability to output its video signal at only 1080p, select that option, so the display doesn't have to upscale standard definition (480i) video to its native 1080p.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I will give that a try.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Yeah, the cable length has nothing to do with it (speed of light...), as Selden said, it's the TV video processing. There are external processors (or used to be - I can't recall the name) that would provide the "lip sync" function - delay the audio to match the delayed video. But the cost/complexity of those probably means it's better to spend that money on a new AVR (which probably gets you a lot of other features as well).

Certainly try playing with the video processing options in the TV - the "motion flow" or similarly-named processing - if the TV has a "game mode", use that - as it will have the least delay.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 6 Old 07-06-2012, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I switched to the Game mode and there is a noticeable improvement. It is only slightly off now and definitely ok. Just to clarify, you talk about the speed of light. I am referring to a long HDMI cable run (not the Audio Fibre) - are long HDMI cable runs an issue in slowing down the video?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmason View Post

Thanks, I switched to the Game mode and there is a noticeable improvement. It is only slightly off now and definitely ok.

Good! Free is much easier and cheaper than the alternative solutions!
Quote:
Just to clarify, you talk about the speed of light. I am referring to a long HDMI cable run (not the Audio Fibre) - are long HDMI cable runs an issue in slowing down the video?

Electricity also runs (roughly) at the speed of light.

Don't take my word for it, my physics grades were not good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_electricity

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page