Advice on Projector/screen type - media room but not ideal for home theatre :( - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-05-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Need some advice.

Basement is getting done, but sadly, we don't have a good area for a home theatre. It's very open concept.

We have a partial wall behind us, wall on left, no wall on right (open hallway leading to other areas), and wall straight ahead. Forgot dimensions but in terms of a HT projector, it does fall into the range to have a screen 10-14 ft away, and around 7-9 ft across (screen i mean).

I've been researching projectors and screens. An issue is that wife doesn't want to paint the walls/ceiling dark since it's all open and it will look strange (i have to agree, although i could technically, blend it from dark to light but she hasn't bought into that yet :P )

Anyways, was wondering if i have light coloured walls/ceiling, would one of the Epson projectors (3010/5010) be a good idea? reviews are good and we could i guess, take it with us if we ever moved to a larger place. Sadly, the equipment cost range we're looking at is much lower than the cost of a new place :P so moving probably won't happen just to have a real home theatre smile.gif

For a screen, i was looking at pulldown/electric white screens but read that in light coloured basements, greyish screens are better.

Thoughts?

Sanjay

PS: oh, and regarding how much we like movies, etc....we're the type of people that would have an elaborate home theatre room if we could but size of basement just doesn't make it possible. Our use of the room will be movies (blu-ray mainly/some streaming) , ps3 and basement is being wired up so desktop can output video to the projector (once it's all installed) so games that don't use multi screens (Eyefinity) i could play on the big screen as well if i wanted to :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-06-2012, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The Pocoloco build might give you an idea of what you are describing can look like. The room uses a DIY acoustically transparent screen,
but with the front speakers and sub/s hidden, it presents a very clean look. Very affordable to accomplish too, using Seymourav's DIY screen
material.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1036161/the-pocoloco-theater

Play games on a big screen? I think SOWK does it with a certain flair.:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1368295/2-35-1-pc-gaming-powered-by-lumagen

No reason a computer can't output custom resolutions...
post #3 of 4 Old 07-06-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The biggest problem with pull down├ędrop down screens, is they wrinkle over time. Tensioned drop down screens solve
this issue, but they tend to be pricey.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I like a matt-white screen. So, is your fall wall blank - if so, would you consider mounting a screen directly on it? Could start with just shooting on the wall, figure out size you like and such, then get a fixed screen. Having a 2-4" black boarder really does help set the visual effect of the screen.
I've had 2 pull-up/down screens, Botha a Da-lite model B and Model C. The model B did pick up a few wrinkles over time, but never had problem with the C. Both in Matt-white.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page