Home Theater Pre-Wire Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I finally decided to take advantage of my home pre-wiring in the media room. While I'm no expert, I think something is really wrong with my wiring.

Background:
I have five wall plates (two side, two rear, and one for the subwoofer) and the main junction box.

Right Surround: I open the plate and see one 4-wire cable and one 2-wire cable. Okay, so I use the the 2-wire (red/black) for the speaker and tuck the 4-wire back not really knowing the purpose of it.
Left Surround: I see the 2-wire only and connect it up.
Rear Right Surround: I see the 2-wire only and connect it up.
Rear Left Surround: I see the 2-wire only and connect it up.

As I didn't plan to use the fifth (presumable) subwoofer plate, I left it alone. Now the weird part...I open the junction box and see one coaxial cable (assume it's for the fifth wall plate and two looped cables. This wasn't what I expected and the double looped cables seem thicker like the 4-wire. I make the assumption that they broke the room in two halves, left and right. They tied off one end of the cable at the right surround plate, ran it to the junction box, looped it through there, then ran it to the right rear surround plate so they didn't have to measure anything. Ditto for the left.

Okay, so I figure I just cut the loop and that's one cable for the right surround and one for the right rear surround. However, when I cut the cable, I see the 4-wire. I panic and think they ran everything (fearing stupidly) to the rear fifth plate. When I open that plate, I see the expected coaxial cable, but I see the ends of two 4-wire cables.

What...the...hell?! Where are the 2-wire cables going? They don't seem to be in the junction box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart2012 View Post

So, I finally decided to take advantage of my home pre-wiring in the media room. While I'm no expert, I think something is really wrong with my wiring.

Background:
I have five wall plates (two side, two rear, and one for the subwoofer) and the main junction box.

Right Surround: I open the plate and see one 4-wire cable and one 2-wire cable. Okay, so I use the the 2-wire (red/black) for the speaker and tuck the 4-wire back not really knowing the purpose of it.
Left Surround: I see the 2-wire only and connect it up.
Rear Right Surround: I see the 2-wire only and connect it up.
Rear Left Surround: I see the 2-wire only and connect it up.

As I didn't plan to use the fifth (presumable) subwoofer plate, I left it alone. Now the weird part...I open the junction box and see one coaxial cable (assume it's for the fifth wall plate and two looped cables. This wasn't what I expected and the double looped cables seem thicker like the 4-wire. I make the assumption that they broke the room in two halves, left and right. They tied off one end of the cable at the right surround plate, ran it to the junction box, looped it through there, then ran it to the right rear surround plate so they didn't have to measure anything. Ditto for the left.

Okay, so I figure I just cut the loop and that's one cable for the right surround and one for the right rear surround. However, when I cut the cable, I see the 4-wire. I panic and think they ran everything (fearing stupidly) to the rear fifth plate. When I open that plate, I see the expected coaxial cable, but I see the ends of two 4-wire cables.

What...the...hell?! Where are the 2-wire cables going? They don't seem to be in the junction box.

Your post is wayyyy too long and confusing to be of much use.

Break your problems down one by one.

Test each speaker wire run with a speaker and a double A battery.  The speaker should produce a scratchy thud when you tap the battery terminals on the speaker wire.

Do each one and move on.

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #3 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 10:31 AM

Liked: 12
[quote name="NicksHitachi" url="/t/1418931/home-theater-pre-wire-help#post_22195590"
Test each speaker wire run with a speaker and a double A battery.  The speaker should produce a scratchy thud when you tap the battery terminals on the speaker wire.
[/quote]

I didn't know that, thanks for the tip
post #4 of 5 Old 07-15-2012, 11:19 AM

Liked: 10
Well, I thought I did a good job breaking it down smile.gif

However, I finally figured it out with the help of someone at my "main" computer site.

The speakers on the left of the room had the 2-wires running to the right side of the room. There was a 4-wire cable on the right side of the room in addition to 2-wire cables from the left side. The light bulb came on and I realized I just had to join the matching black/red to the black/red of the 4-wire cable and use the green/whites for the right speakers.

The fifth plate at the rear of the room with the two 4-wires simply had to be spliced together. One of the 4-wires was from rear speakers. The other 4-wire ran to the junction box at the front of the room. I just had to twisty connector both of these 4-wires up and BAM! Done.

Yeah, this might have been a cakewalk for you guys, but it was a lot of learning from me. I expected red/blacks from all speakers and 4 pairs of them in the junction box. I wasn't aware of 4-wire cables.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-15-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The four wire cables might be for biamping (eg, run one amplifier to the woofers and one amplifiers to the tweeters/mids). Another thing to have done is to connect wires in a long loop and use a meter to test for continuity/very low resistance. Since you figured it out, though, you don't need to do that.

Bob
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page