One PC that I can access from any room in the house? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so I need some help on this one, and not quite sure where to post this.

I have a new house, and would like to make one awesome PC, and be able to control it throughout my house. I don't really have an exact price range, seeing as I don't even know how to do this. I would like to kinda have a "media room" and be able to access the pc from any room with a display. The "media room" being my office. But when I go to my basement to watch tv, I'd like to switch that tv to my computer display. I can leave keyboards in any rooms, that is fine. Wireless is preferred for keyboard/mouse in each room. And then when I am done, i would like to go to bed....turn on the tv and poof, my pc is on my tv. What does it take for this to happen? Cheaper of course would be best...but what kind of numbers am I looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-10-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 64
How many displays are you looking to have? Newer video cards can support several displays (and you could clone the displays so each displays the same thing)
And I beleive newer Intel cpus with onboard Radeons can also be enabled along with the video card's mulitple outputs.

How far apart are the various rooms?

An ir receiver inwall in each room could accept input from ir keyboards and mice.

As for the bedroom tv, just use the tv's various inputs.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 64
post #4 of 5 Old 07-10-2012, 01:57 PM

Liked: 11
I run a Monoprice 1x4 matrix switch. My computer outputs to the matrix, which in turn distributes to two tvs in my house. The computer's second video feed goes to a monitor which is local to the computer. Both of the tv's I'm driving with this computer are on the same level, with each room (1 bedroom, 1 living room) are next to the room with the computer (office). So since they are close, I'm easily able to run the computer with a wireless usb keyboard. I use the now discontinued Logitech mediaboard (not the pro model). This keyboard works fabulously for me, since I have two keyboards I discovered they both worked using a single dongle.

With the cables and the switch coming from Monoprice, I probably only put about $200 into the setup on top of the computer. I eventually built a dedicated pc for the HTPC, but originally just ran the setup with my regular office computer.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-14-2012, 02:59 PM

Liked: 10
If you don't want to run cable this might be an option: Wireless HDMI

Range isn't great according to the reviews but you can have one transmitter and multiple receivers in different room (only one receiver can be powered on at a time). Most decent video cards can carry audio over hdmi so you won't have to worry about running an extra cable. The transmitter has an IR extender so if you use a IR keyboard and mouse you should be able to have one dongle in the PC and multiple sets of keyboard/mouse (as long as they're all the same brand/model). I haven't used this personally but I wanted to use one cable box for multiple TVs in my apartment and this is something I was considering.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page