Remodeling living room, need TV mount height suggestion. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-12-2012, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just purchased a home and it has a cathederal style ceiling in the living room and kitchen/dining room. The roof is 18' at the peak.

The living room is roughly 12' x 18'. The screen is goin on the 12' wall away from the couch. What would be the ideal viewing height where I should mount my TV? I have 18' of room to work with vertically.

I have demo'd the wall and I am running electrical, AV components etc in the wall and want to mount the electrical outlet along with all the other wall adapters at the right height so my 55" TV covers the wall plates and I dont have any wires showing.

The TV wall is 101" wide by 18' tall. I planned on mounting the electrical outlet 50 1/2" to center it within the wall, I just need to know the ideal height. Once it is complete I will take some pictures so everyone can see.

On the back side of the wall is my kitchen/dining room. Currently the 8 1/2' wall is being used as dead space, its 2' deep so I figured I would turn it into a pantry/AV rack closet.

Thanks again guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-12-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It seems that most people that wall mount their TV's put them too high. You really should tape off with blue painters tape the screen size at different heights. How far you sit from screen also affects how high screen should be. I do not like looking up at the TV screen, but maybe you do. The highest I would go is the bottom of TV at your seated eye level.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 213
The only time I would disagree with what Jim McC said here is if it's important to be able to enjoy the TV from the other end of the room or while standing (in the kitchen, for instance, or I find I have an easier time cheering for my team while standing...) But it would have to be a small adjustment for me to consider deviating from that solid advice. Ideal target, IMO, is eyes about 1/3 to 1/2 the way up the screen.

It will look low from elsewhere in the room, and it won't leave much space for shelves or cabinetry below it, but it will feel right when you watch it sitting down.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-13-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 92
There's only one person who can answer that question: you! wink.gif

I am one of the weirdos that like my TV above the fireplace, so I'm used to it being high. I don't mind slightly looking up rather than slightly looking down. Especially if you're leaning back, your head naturally points upwards. And it looks rather nice aesthetically.

I would do the painter tape thing, or even some cardboard. if you're concerned.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the comments. Ok, so I got the wall framed in, got the sheetrock up, ran all my electrical and coax connections. I am waiting on my monoprice order to arrive so I can install my speaker wires, hdmi cables, SVGA connectors etc.

On the opposite side of the TV wall I made a nook for my bar. I debated on a Wine fridge, but I decided I needed additional storage.

I will be mudding taping some more tomorrow and hopefully laying tile and flooring on Wednesday. I am thinking of going with a brazilian cherry wood floor in my living room area, but I am not 100% sure yet. I am going with taverntine in the kitchen/dining room area. All of my furniture is a dark mahogany color, pretty much the same color as my nook area.

I am going to paint my screen wall a dark grey/slate color. The rest of the walls are going to be an off white/ light sand color.

Below are some pictures of the progress.

Anything I am missing? I will be wiring the wall behind my couch for speakers. So I should be covered on the surround sound setup. I planned on placing my sub by my tv stand up front.

bar_nook.JPG 379k .JPG file
tv_wall.JPG 1328k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bar_nook.JPG (379.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg tv_wall.JPG (1.30 MB, 30 views)
post #6 of 9 Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 92
What about your components? Are you going to run wires in the wall? I'd probably run a conduit, too. Because someday, you'll want to add in that new 4D HDMI cable . . . . eek.gif
post #7 of 9 Old 07-17-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

I have a 16" gap that I can run things in the future from stud to stud. I am basically just running things from the TV down to my TV stand with my components. I didn't create a built in AV rack because I only have the following devices.

Receiver
XBox 360
Nintendo Wii
BlueRay Player
Laptop

Usually I only have the Receiver, Xbox360, and BlueRay Player out.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, my brother in law came over and suggested I run my speaker wires to my locations before I close up the wall. Good suggestion... I told him I was planning on running the wires underneath my hardwoods, but he said you would feel them. So I am running them the long way around, the right way.

I was also debating on putting some speaker jacks in the front wall incase I decide to go with bookshelf style speakers instead of tower/free standing style. This way you wouldn't see the wires going to the front speakers....

I dont have any front's or rear speakers currently. I am just trying to plan ahead for 5.1...

Any suggestions on wall plate height for the front speaker wall plates in case of book case speakers? I figure the worst case scenario is I dont use them, but they will be pre-wired for later use.

Also, any way I can get a long enough cable for my sub wire? It's like a big RCA type jack... I am planning on putting my sub in the back of the room in a corner (It's a down firing sub). I was wondering if I can use RG6 cable and just crimp the ends on? I have a bunch of coax left over from when I ran the in wall coax for my cable TV.

Thanks again fellas!
post #9 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
I was wondering if I can use RG6 cable and just crimp the ends on?

Yes, do that. I think you'll find that's what most of us have done. If you need to invest in a crimper, you might want to consider a compression fitting instead. If you already have the crimper, just use that and it will be fine.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page