Looking for help with modest home theater setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just joined this forum to make this post but I have done searches to try to get information that I could use. Last winter I had some work done on my family room and I had an HDMI cord run from a wall outlet to a closet. This wall outlet also has an electrical plug and coax connector. It is halfway up the wall.

Here's what I would like to do:

Hang my 40" lcd tv (this is what I have currently but I plan to buy a 55 led 3d soon, just waiting for the best deal) on the wall in front of this outlet.

Get a HDMI switch box with remote and connect all of my components (cable box, bluray -- possibly an xbox or computer one day). And get an IR Repeater so that I can put all of these things (and possibly an old ONKYO reciever) in the closet where the HDMI cable is.

I hope I'm making sense here. I just want the tv on the wall and nothing else seen -- all of the other stuff to be hidden in the closet. I want to do this *without* any drywall work. Is there anyway I can use the HDMI or coaxial cable to connect the ir repeater? I don't want any wires to be seen. I would also like suggestions on a good HDMI switch box (with remote) and a good ir repeater. Thanks for any assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Well, you should really put the money into a new receiver with HDMI switching, and get all the benefits of that setup, too...

For repeating IR, you can either use an RF remote (Harmony or other) that doesn't require line-of-sight, or use the Sewell InjectIR over HDMI:

SW-29660.jpg

http://sewelldirect.com/IR-Injector-Kit-For-HDMI.asp?gclid=CKfslYL1lbECFQgFnQod-BEm4g

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht