AV Receiver needs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have this 5.1 system that came with a dvd player from a friend. there's no power cord for the player to the sub, so i wired regular speaker wire to the sub's special plug adapter. All i need is a receiver for all the speakers and sub to go into.

My question is...can everything work great on the digital optical input?

I'm using my PS3 for Netflix and my USB hard drive where i store my movies. I was thinking of going PS3 -> receiver via optical and PS3 -> TV via HDMI.

This way my "TV shows" from netflix will be in 5.1 as well.

will this work?

also, I can probably get a cheap used receiver on craigslist since my only real requirements are that it be 5.1 and have optical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozer View Post

I have this 5.1 system that came with a dvd player from a friend. there's no power cord for the player to the sub, so i wired regular speaker wire to the sub's special plug adapter. All i need is a receiver for all the speakers and sub to go into.

My question is...can everything work great on the digital optical input?

I'm using my PS3 for Netflix and my USB hard drive where i store my movies. I was thinking of going PS3 -> receiver via optical and PS3 -> TV via HDMI.

This way my "TV shows" from netflix will be in 5.1 as well.

will this work?

also, I can probably get a cheap used receiver on craigslist since my only real requirements are that it be 5.1 and have optical.

Can you explain the "no power cord for the player to the sub"? Why would power go from the dvd player to the sub? Is this a HTIB with a combined dvd player and receiver? Your sub should get a line level output from whatever avr you get. "wired regular speaker wire to the sub's special plug adapter"? scares me frankly. Maybe you should post the make and model for the 5.1 system/components to help a bit, too. Otherwise an optical output from the PS3 to your avr should get you up to 5.1 sound. There are a great number of AVRs that will work with what you've got in mind and more.

post #3 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

yeah it was a HTIB. the DVD player had a special cord that went to the sub to power it. The speakers went to the sub. So i'm going to use the speakers and subs as "free" components and use a receiver.

My jury-rig method was not as scary as it sounds. There was about 4 inches of speaker wire coming out of the sub to a plug that went back into the sub's control panel. I just spliced it in the middle. I tested it with another AV receiver and it worked fine. That receiver's optical port was blown so i returned it.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah it was a HTIB. the DVD player had a special cord that went to the sub to power it. The speakers went to the sub. So i'm going to use the speakers and subs as "free" components and use a receiver.

My jury-rig method was not as scary as it sounds. There was about 4 inches of speaker wire coming out of the sub to a plug that went back into the sub's control panel. I just spliced it in the middle. I tested it with another AV receiver and it worked fine. That receiver's optical port was blown so i returned it.

Your terminology is probably off as much as my knowledge of HTIB setups smile.gif The dvd player doesn't actually send anything to the sub, an amp the dvd player is integrated with might. I'm more used to powered subs (need their own AC power), when you said power was thinking AC power. I think you have a passive sub working off the amp with speaker level output (rather than line level) and the speakers are working off the same amp connection in turn.

post #5 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

oh btw it was the pioneer xv-dv77 system

There was a special plug that went from DVD player to the sub (which doubled as the receiver with ports for the speakers). that replacement cord is $50 so i said screw that and am going to use them as free speakers, which already works. I battery tested all speakers and the sub individually and they're fine this way.

so regardless of how they're supposed to work originally, i'm using them this way now.

However, the lady I'm getting my receiver from also is giving me yamaha 5.1 speakers and a sub. so i'm going to test which set i like better.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

the receiver i'm getting tomorrow (barring any warnings from you) is the kenwood VR-6050
post #7 of 9 Old 07-17-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

turns out the yamaha speakers that came with the receiver are much better than my pioneers on paper (100 W, 6 ohms vs 40 W max and 8 ohms) so i'll be using those for now.

happy to say that the optical connection from ps3 to AVC was great.

It was annoying that regular cable can only come out of all 5 speakers on Mono because all the other modes (Stereo, pro logic, Dolby movie, etc) used the front 3 speakers. Must be because cable isn't always in Dolby digital?
post #8 of 9 Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

turns out the yamaha speakers that came with the receiver are much better than my pioneers on paper (100 W, 6 ohms vs 40 W max and 8 ohms) so i'll be using those for now.

happy to say that the optical connection from ps3 to AVC was great.

It was annoying that regular cable can only come out of all 5 speakers on Mono because all the other modes (Stereo, pro logic, Dolby movie, etc) used the front 3 speakers. Must be because cable isn't always in Dolby digital?

Can't tell if they're better speakers on paper based on a max wattage and ohm rating...although they may well be in this case if the Yamaha speakers are of better quality. I have no idea what you mean by regular cable coming out of 5 speakers on mono...can you find a pic of the cable you're talking about?

post #9 of 9 Old 07-17-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

sorry, cable as in cable TV source. well they just sound sick too. But i could test half and half and decide later.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page