General wiring questions for new construction, help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm building a new home, and have to order the wiring\outlets I want for the contractor. I had some general questions if someone could give some advice. I'm going to be placing all of my equipment in a media closet and piping it around the house. Even my main computer will be in the closet and setup for 2 different rooms.

1 - I was looking into the different keystone outlets since I have so many different connections. Is Leviton a good brand or could some suggest a better one? Any suggestions on dealers?

2 - Some of the keystone jacks I've found have a power outlet along with the keystones. I didn't think you were supposed to have electric next to things like CAT, USB (for the computer), HDMI, etc. Am I wrong?

3 - In the living room I need power and CAT flat on the floor, under the couch. I've seen the boxes that have the disc that unscrews to get to the plug. Is that a code thing? It seems pointless since it will always be plugged in (and under a couch). Any special considerations I need to know about a floor mount power and CAT? Dust or anything?

4 - There are so many types of CAT. Can someone tell me the best\future proof I should have ran? Mainly for internet, but just in case I ever wanted to run video if it's not too much of an upgrade to the cable.

Thanks for any help. Any and all would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-16-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasBuck View Post

1 - I was looking into the different keystone outlets since I have so many different connections. Is Leviton a good brand or could some suggest a better one?
IMHO Leviton is about as good as it gets.
Quote:
2 - ... I didn't think you were supposed to have electric next to things like CAT, USB (for the computer)
No problem having the jacks next to each other. You just cannot have the wiring in the same box without an approved divider. You don't even need a box for low voltage wiring. There are boxes with a low voltage ring attached so you can use a single plate.
Quote:
4 - There are so many types of CAT. Can someone tell me the best\future proof I should have ran?
Run Cat 6 UTP. Who knows what the future will bring. If you are concerned about that, run conduit.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-16-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
+1 to all of that... And by conduit we mean flexible low volt conduit run empty to an accessible location so you can run wires in the future that we don't know about today...

Take some time to read the Wiring Your House Wikiover at Cocoontech.com. Just don't try to take it all in at once! smile.gif

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-17-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the info and the guides!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page