Recommend a good magazine for Home Theater - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-18-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've been looking at either subscribing to Sound & Vision magazine, or Home Theater Magazine.
Anyone have any input on these publications? Would like to read and stay up to date when I'm on the road about home entertainment/new gadgets.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-19-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have a sub to Home Theater Magazine. Lately, it's been catering to the very high end. You know, $20K projectors, $25K speakers, etc. There have been several letters to the editor complaining about lack of more affordable gear and as of the May issue, they have indicated that they will be including more reviews, features, etc of the mid and lower tier gear. I was considering letting my sub go, but I'll give them a couple of months and see if they come through. It's nice to feature some high end stuff so that you can get an idea of what will be coming to the more affordable lines, but not the entire magazine.

Hope that helps.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #3 of 7 Old 07-19-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the input!

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-21-2012, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Electronic House
post #5 of 7 Old 07-21-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I second home theater. Although I have let my multiyear subscription run out I do believe overall I enjoyed that one the best. I have had subscriptions to nearly all the audio video mags.

The absolute sound also gets a recommendation from me, but their reviews are all 2 channel audio related and mostly very expensive, but I like looking at things I can't afford. Amazing some of those speakers.

Sound and vision....ehh. Didn't like that one much. The reviews were not that good, the measurement graphs were poor, but for receivers they did post measurements. Also when they had a shootout for something they would almost always put in a group of products of such varying price range you only have 1 choice in your price range, and even then they would seemingly never declare a winner. I only had a 1 year subscription to this one.

Stereophile, I would also consider this one, as its a lot like the absolute sound. There is something about it I couldn't quite put my finger on that I didn't like as much as the absolute sound, but it was still a good magazine. I think it may have been their excessive reviews for components and fewer speaker reviews.

Electronic house I would pass all together. Unless you find an issue that showcases a collection of home theaters just walk by it. No real reviews, no shootouts, no measurements...on and on. The magazine has mostly manufacturer's info for products, as well as their pics and that's about it.

Other magazines I have picked up like the $ensible sound and whathifi or other british mags are decent, but $ensible sound never had enough content, and the british mags had mostly products not available in the U.S.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-21-2012, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

I have a sub to Home Theater Magazine. Lately, it's been catering to the very high end. You know, $20K projectors, $25K speakers, etc. There have been several letters to the editor complaining about lack of more affordable gear and as of the May issue, they have indicated that they will be including more reviews, features, etc of the mid and lower tier gear. I was considering letting my sub go, but I'll give them a couple of months and see if they come through. It's nice to feature some high end stuff so that you can get an idea of what will be coming to the more affordable lines, but not the entire magazine.
Hope that helps.

+1
post #7 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Will try out Home Theater.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page