Mounting ~40 lbs to drywall/stud Dorm Room Ceiling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-19-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi AVS,

Well, I was looking around for some info on this (or any ceiling mount tutorial in general) and was hard pressed to find anything like what I need advice on, so I figured a forum post would be just super.

Mounting Bracket: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082814&p_id=4051&seq=1&format=2

TV: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/LN37D550K1FXZA

Now that bracket is meant for a concrete/hollow block mount, instructions said owner is responsible for a wood mount method (obviously).

Basically, what I'm asking is should a single ceiling stud be able to hold 40 pounds, and should I use the concrete anchor bolts provided in the wood? Or should I opt for some thick screws.

Clearly a complete noob in handy work here. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-19-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 387
If this really is in a dorm room, you need to contact the college's dorm room maintenance organization. Some have very strict rules about what can and cannot be done in their rooms. Personally, I suspect that any ceiling-mounted equipment would be forbidden -- it's just too dangerous.

Selden
post #3 of 11 Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry. It's not an on campus dorm room. It's just an apartment complex not owned by the university. Either way, we've been given permission to mount pretty much whatever we want at our own risk, any damages are obviously covered by the deposit.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Hopefully someone else will be able to provide some helpful recommendations. I have no personal experience with this. My concern, however, would be what might happen when uninhibited "friends" visit. Someone attempting to do a chin-up on your TV would not have a pleasant result.

Selden
post #5 of 11 Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am award of the risks involved, it is a 4 bedroom apartment complex and my door has multiple locks. I have security surveillance as well. If I can get it up there and keep it sturdy I'll be satisfied. My roommates are also not dummies, no one let in would be that stupid.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-19-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
You should definitely not use concrete anchors in wood. When mounting in wood, you would use appropriately sized lag bolts into appropriately sized pre-drilled holes. Assuming it's mounted correctly, a ceiling joist is capable of holding 40#. The issues I see with that mount is that at best, you will only get two bolts into the center of the joist. The other two would just hit bare drywall.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #7 of 11 Old 07-19-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

I see I see, yes I was worried about that...I would mount it diagonally to center the mass and evenly distribute the force, if 2 diagonal ends hit drywall so be it, I may punch 2 more holes lined up diagonally with the base, as the base is fairly wide.

Thanks for your input BllDo.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Why are you ceiling mounting the TV? I would think a wall mount be be easier to install, hit studs, and use.

But to answer your questions, big NO on the concrete anchors. Now technically, by the numbers, one or two lag bolts would be able to hold you and me hanging from it. The big issue will be the ceiling you're putting them into.

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Few reasons for the ceiling mount as opposed to the wall, 360 swivel and tilt, got the mount for free, crowded room already, would rather put a bookshelf where the tv would normally be.

Can you elaborate on "the ceiling you're putting them into"?
post #10 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroypet View Post

Hi,
Few reasons for the ceiling mount as opposed to the wall, 360 swivel and tilt, got the mount for free, crowded room already, would rather put a bookshelf where the tv would normally be.
Can you elaborate on "the ceiling you're putting them into"?

I just meant it depends on what the ceiling is made out of. It's hard to tell in an apartment. But odds are it'll be something meaty you can lag into.

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-21-2012, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If you sink 2 four inch long 1/4" lag screws thru your mount into wood structure framing your ceiling, then use two or more "toggler" drywall anchors with 1/4" machine screws, you should be good for a safety factor of 5 for your 40lb TV (200 lbs) actual holding strength of the toggler anchors is over 300lbs each. Here's a link for toggler, it's a lot like a molly type anchor except it doesn't fold, you use the included plastic straps to insert and flatten behind the drywall. http://www.toggler.com/
you want the snaptoggle. Most hardware stores carry them, as does BigBlue. A stud finder or tiny drill bit to probe to ensure hitting wood is a good idea too.

underachiever extraordinaire
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page