Putting together first FP setup, general 'going about it' quesitons. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-19-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Starting to put together my first front projection system just want some suggestions on how to properly plan for and execute. What I was thinking of doing was the following:
  • First get some PVC and mock up different common screen sizes to see how they really would fit/work in the room. Thinking PVC because with all of the different fittings it would be easy to re-size to any dimension or size at will.
  • Next, once I know what sizes will work best with my existing layout and equipment - pick a projector that will work with that size screen given the available mounting restrictions.
  • Then buy a projector and rig up a temporary screen with a sheet or material (no wall to project on) and just verify it will all work.
  • Next get some screen material samples (need something like Black Diamond or Firehawk G3 for light control) and pick the screen material and gain.
  • And finally get the screen and permanently mount everything.

Am I over-thinking this, or under-thinking/missing anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-19-2012, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 364
The room and the seating locations will guide you to a screen size (or at least a range). From there, pick your projector, set it up with a paper / temporary screen to pick a final screen size...

Unless you're going for a huge screen, have a small room, or have limitations in the projector placement, you can probably select a projector by price/performance/features.

What's your room dimensions, where's the screen wall, and how far / how many seats will there be?

(oh, and I can give you some temporary screen paper if you're close enough to make it worth the drive)

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Room is rectangular - 13.5 feet wide and 23 feet deep (8ft ceiling). One primary row (couch) of seating is currently about 11 feet back. Would like to leave it there for optimal surround placement and the ability to seat people behind the couch for overflow. One issue is that there is an off-center window on that wall so I don't have an available flat surface to stick paper to or project against. This is one of the reason I was thinking about rigging up a frame with PVC to test sizes since that would give me something to attach a sheet (or paper) to. From looking and measuring and taking existing speakers and placement needs I was thinking a 110" screen (diagonal) 16:9.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMan01 View Post

One issue is that there is an off-center window on that wall so I don't have an available flat surface to stick paper to or project against. This is one of the reason I was thinking about rigging up a frame with PVC to test sizes since that would give me something to attach a sheet (or paper) to.

Ya gotta tell us those little details if you want good answers... rolleyes.gifsmile.gif
Quote:
From looking and measuring and taking existing speakers and placement needs I was thinking a 110" screen (diagonal) 16:9.

Good planning to keep the primary seats away from the wall. 110" screen from 11' I think is a very good size. My front row is about 10' from a 108" screen, and certainly wouldn't go any bigger...

What are you planning to do about that window? Lots of light and sound transmission into / out of that room through it...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
First get some PVC and mock up different common screen sizes to see how they really would fit/work in the room. Thinking PVC because with all of the different fittings it would be easy to re-size to any dimension or size at will.

That's what blue painter's tape is for. Or flat, king size white sheets from Wally World.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #6 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Ya gotta tell us those little details if you want good answers... rolleyes.gifsmile.gif
Good planning to keep the primary seats away from the wall. 110" screen from 11' I think is a very good size. My front row is about 10' from a 108" screen, and certainly wouldn't go any bigger...
What are you planning to do about that window? Lots of light and sound transmission into / out of that room through it...
Jeff

Window (along with most of the wall to the off center side) is covered with floor to (near) ceiling black, blackout curtains. Screen will either need to be mounted to hang in front of the curtains or be a retractable screen.

Room is currently a media room, just with a 65" RPTV for a screen. TV is starting to need major work, so looking to upgrade.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page