Converting a 'rec room' to a family Home Theater.. 12' x 26' - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I built a home theater in my last house, but then we moved..

So its time to start again, however, this time I have to start from an already finished basement.

The room I have to work with is 12'2 wide, and 26' long. from floor to already drywalled ceiling is 6'11. The room is completely dark with the blinds closed.

All 4 walls are concrete, so sound only gets to the rest of the house through the ceiling and 3 vents(and the entrance (no door currently).

There is a walkout to the backyard at one end of the room, and built in shelving, the entrance and the electrical panel at the other end of the room.

I already have Paradigm Cinema 220s from the fronts, 330 for the center, and adp's for the rears So for now on-wall speakers is how I'm doing it. Future would be larger Paradigm speakers. Sub is a pdr10, but will hopefully be adding another sub as well.

Amp is denon avr-790 and capable of doing 7.1 with rears, front wides, or front heights depending on how the room gets setup.

I haven't decided on a projector yet, but probably one of the epson projectors 5010/6010 etc.. Screen size, as big as I can fit. Last one was 100" and would like as big if not bigger. Fixed or drop down still depends on the room setup.

Seating, I'd like to be able to seat 7 (our family size) but often will have more there, so need to be flexible. Whats important, is that at least 2 seats in the middle sound good.

What I am not sure about, is where to put the screen. I can knock out the built-in shelves, or put a drop down screen in front of them. 12 foot wide is okay, but with the walkout at the back, it needs to be easy to walk through the room.

Could I put the screen on the long wall, and go with just 12' from front to back? Were currently sitting like that with a 40' tv mounted above the fireplace.

Anyone got experience doing something similar to this? Your thoughts/reflections would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kithawk View Post

I built a home theater in my last house, but then we moved..
So its time to start again, however, this time I have to start from an already finished basement.
The room I have to work with is 12'2 wide, and 26' long. from floor to already drywalled ceiling is 6'11. The room is completely dark with the blinds closed.
All 4 walls are concrete, so sound only gets to the rest of the house through the ceiling and 3 vents(and the entrance (no door currently).
There is a walkout to the backyard at one end of the room, and built in shelving, the entrance and the electrical panel at the other end of the room.

I already have Paradigm Cinema 220s from the fronts, 330 for the center, and adp's for the rears So for now on-wall speakers is how I'm doing it. Future would be larger Paradigm speakers. Sub is a pdr10, but will hopefully be adding another sub as well.
Amp is denon avr-790 and capable of doing 7.1 with rears, front wides, or front heights depending on how the room gets setup.
I haven't decided on a projector yet, but probably one of the epson projectors 5010/6010 etc.. Screen size, as big as I can fit. Last one was 100" and would like as big if not bigger. Fixed or drop down still depends on the room setup.
Seating, I'd like to be able to seat 7 (our family size) but often will have more there, so need to be flexible. Whats important, is that at least 2 seats in the middle sound good.
What I am not sure about, is where to put the screen. I can knock out the built-in shelves, or put a drop down screen in front of them. 12 foot wide is okay, but with the walkout at the back, it needs to be easy to walk through the room.
Could I put the screen on the long wall, and go with just 12' from front to back? Were currently sitting like that with a 40' tv mounted above the fireplace.
Anyone got experience doing something similar to this? Your thoughts/reflections would be appreciated.

If it was me, I would tear out the shelves, build a shallow false wall, and then install an acoustically transparent screen with the speakers behind it. This allows you to go with a larger screen and it allows for ideal speaker placement on a narrow and vertically challenged wall.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-25-2012, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
What's the height of the room? D

Dedicated or multipurpose space?

And concrete is a good conductor of bass, as is framing.

+1 for the AT screen. It also allows for the center channel speaker to be mounted up higher, a big plus
with multiple rows of seating.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I recently entered escrow on my dream home, and the area above the 3 car garage will be my home theater.

I am looking for the exact same info you are looking for, my room is 27'x16'

Anyone have a "go to" resource? I need sound treatments, new door (to rest of house), etc.

My room has dual sliding glass doors that go out to a deck overlooking driveway.

I was going to upgrade to a 70" elite, but will now be buying a decent 3d projecter.

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page