Surround connection setup questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-27-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Planning for a new construction. How do most people do their connections for speakers? Specifically:

- Most surrounds I've online just have a mount, a hole in the wall, and the wires coming out of the hole. Isn't there some kind of plate to put in the wall, with clips or something? I've looked, but no luck. I just didn't figure most people ran them through a hole.

- My media closet is in the basement. How would I run the connection for the powered sub? Just run a long subwoofer class rca cable, and then install one of those keystone jacks in the wall (the one where the keystone is basically a male\female coupler\extension)?

- Although it's kind of off topic, I'm going to go ahead and ask. I have to run a USB for a wireless keyboard for the HTPC. Would I just use the above mentioned keystone jack?

Thanks for any tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasBuck View Post

- Most surrounds I've online just have a mount, a hole in the wall, and the wires coming out of the hole. Isn't there some kind of plate to put in the wall, with clips or something? I've looked, but no luck. I just didn't figure most people ran them through a hole.

You can get keystone-style speaker connectors, but then you have a fairly large plate on the wall/ceiling. The small cable through the wall is easier to hide, especially if the mount is built to conceal the cable entry inside...
Quote:
- My media closet is in the basement. How would I run the connection for the powered sub? Just run a long subwoofer class rca cable, and then install one of those keystone jacks in the wall (the one where the keystone is basically a male\female coupler\extension)?

A coax cable (RG59), with an F-connector to RCA adapter is the correct method - but yes, essentially a long RCA cable...
Quote:
Although it's kind of off topic, I'm going to go ahead and ask. I have to run a USB for a wireless keyboard for the HTPC. Would I just use the above mentioned keystone jack?!

Use cat5e to an RJ45 keystone and a USB-over-cat5 extender.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 10 Old 07-28-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks much! Any recommendations on brands, or websites for the parts?
post #4 of 10 Old 07-28-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Monoprice. For keystones, though, you may want to use Leviton as they're widely available at Home Depot, etc. so it's easy to get identical/matching parts later...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 10 Old 07-28-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again. I looked at those USB over Cat6 extenders before, but the only ones I could find don't do USB 2. In my current house I'm using a really long USB cable from a closet through several rooms and it works well. That's why I was thinking it might be better to do the USB keystone adapter and just run a USB. Or am I wrong about the extenders not doing USB 2?
post #6 of 10 Old 07-28-2012, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

No, you're not wrong, but your keyboard won't need USB 2 speeds anyway. Unless you're a really, really fast typist!!!! biggrin.gif

post #7 of 10 Old 07-29-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I was trying to work through things in my head and was talking about a different one. There's two computers in the media closet, one runs the TV. That's what the keyboard USB is for. BUT, I've got a second computer that I want to access from two different rooms. (It just duplicates the display). Since I want to be able to plug in a thumb drive and transfer files, I guess I should go with an actual USB cable for that one?
post #8 of 10 Old 07-30-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

One other thing. Where speaker wires terminate in the media closet, do people use some kind of wallplate clip? (Sorry, I'm not sure what to call them, but the clips like you have on the back of a speaker itself, but in a wallplate.)
post #9 of 10 Old 07-31-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

There are "keystone" style speaker connectors - banana plug / binding posts. You can find spring-clip wall plates, but I would avoid those and use the banana plugs or binding posts instead. Better built and more reliable.

Jeff

post #10 of 10 Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the help.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page