Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-29-2012, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. So I have a very basic set up:

Optoma projector (HD66)
Sony receiver (base model with 3 HDMI, 5.1, about 2 years old)
Sony blu-ray player
TiVo Series 3

I recently had the projector out for repair (no video could be seen and it claimed to be overheating within a minute of use. They replaced some parts and it works fine now).

So my issue is that when I turn just the receiver on I hear the audio from the TV (TiVo) but when I turn the projector on the audio cuts in and out and the video will not display. It's as though there isn't enough processing power in the receiver to consistently produce audio and video. The DVD player also does not display video. I have confirmed that the projector works fine as I've hooked the TiVo right to it and it works perfectly. I've also switched HDMI inputs for the TiVo but that didn't do anything.

This is the same same set up I've been rolling with for the last several years so I'm not sure what's going on. The HDMI cable from the PJ to the receiver is about 15 ft maybe 20 if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance everyone. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-29-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hook up the output of the Bluray player to the projector. If that works, then you know it's the receiver. Did you do anything to the receiver? Try to remove the inputs from the receiver, connect the receiver to the projector, and see if you get an output on the projector. It sounds to me if the receiver has a configuration issue. Another thing to try is put one input into the receiver and connect the output of the receiver to the projector and see if you can get that single output working through the receiver.

The length of HDMI cable shouldn't make a difference, especially if you can connect it to the Tivo or Bluray player and everything works.

Bob
post #3 of 8 Old 07-29-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I got it to work by going directly from the projector to the TiVo and used an optical cable for sound. I tried what you said re. the DVD player direct to the projector and that works ok. Also tried having only one input into the receiver but that didn't work.

I haven't done anything with my receiver while the projector was out for repair. It simply cannot produce audio and video at the same time for either the DVD player or TiVo.

What kind of configuration can I mess with to get this to work like it used to?
post #4 of 8 Old 07-31-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thoughts anyone?
post #5 of 8 Old 07-31-2012, 06:51 PM

MSRunner,
For about $400 you can get an Onkyo TX-NR616. It has two hdmi outputs. That would solve the problem of two veiwing sources. I don't know if that is what you were looking for but, I have this setup and so does my buddy. We feed the TV and the projector at the same time.

gamertag BRO GRIM
post #6 of 8 Old 08-01-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

I have 3 inputs and they've always worked fine up until now. This is a technical and/or config issue. Sounds like I'll just call Sony. Thanks though.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-02-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You need to analyze what changed. It was working fine. You sent the projector out for repair and now you can't get simultaneous audio and video.

So what did you do? You disconnected the cables. The Optoma folks messed with the projector. I would look in those two areas, assuming what you say is true. However, you should think back. Did you try and make something else work? Did you touch ANYTHING on the Sony receiver settings? If you can honestly say you left the Sony alone, then you can say with 90% certainty that the problem isn't there. Look at the cables and the projector.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-05-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

You need to analyze what changed. It was working fine. You sent the projector out for repair and now you can't get simultaneous audio and video.
So what did you do? You disconnected the cables. The Optoma folks messed with the projector. I would look in those two areas, assuming what you say is true. However, you should think back. Did you try and make something else work? Did you touch ANYTHING on the Sony receiver settings? If you can honestly say you left the Sony alone, then you can say with 90% certainty that the problem isn't there. Look at the cables and the projector.

I followed that exact same line of thinking. I didn't touch the receiver while it was away. Now it works but only if I pass audio through a digital audio cable. Video works fine. I agree that the cable could still be the culprit but seeing that it passes audio and video but not simultaneously is odd.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page