Is 100" 16:9 screen going to be too large for my room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I've been going back and forth for a while on what to do with my media room and I've finally made the decision to go with a PJ and screen. As I'm on a relatively tight budget, I ordered the Optoma HD20. I also went ahead and ordered the EliteScreen ezFrame 100" 16:9 (CineWhite); however, the more I've read, the more I've become concerned that the 100" screen might prove too big for my room, due primarily to the low ceilings in the room in question. (FYI, the room is plenty long/wide enough to accommodate a 100" screen -- it's really just the vertical limitation of the low ceiling that gives me concern).

My ceilings are 7'4" (88 inches) high. My understanding from what I've seen on the projector calculator and other sources is that the screen will need to be mounted such that the top of the screen is at least 13" from the ceiling. This is to account for the roughly 8" offset I need below the center line of my Optoma HD20, and the roughly 5" the PJ will hang from the ceiling with the Peerless PRG mount (which I understand to be the best option for mounting the PJ as close to the ceiling as possible).

The specs for the 100" screen I ordered indicate that the screen (actual viewing portion -- not frame) measures 48.8" vertically. Accounting for the 13" I need between the screen and the ceiling, the highest point I could mount the screen would place the bottom only 26 or so inches above the floor. There seems to be a consensus that most screens should be 36" off the floor or, at the very least, 30".

So I guess I have three questions:

(1) Is the 30" above the floor pretty much a cardinal rule or is there some wiggle room here?

(2) Am I missing some way to get away with mounting the screen higher than the 13" clearance from the ceiling (e.g., is there a mount that will get the Optoma closer to the ceiling)?

(3) Based on the above, would you return the 100" screen for a 92"?

I've searched and read the forums extensively over the past 18 months or so -- which has taught me a ton, and for which I'm very grateful -- but am just confused about what my best option is here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Can you return the projector for another that has more flexible placement.....As you're gonna want the biggest screen you can fit......

That said, my screen is only about 30" off the floor....

What are the dimensions of your room?
post #3 of 13 Old 08-02-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
How many rows of seats? The main reason to raise the bottom of the screen is to ensure that second row seating, in combination with a riser, can see the bottom of the screen. If its just one row of seats, not as important. The other factor is trying to have your eyes, when seated, at a level that is within the middle third of the screen. But that's just a guideline too, some mount them higher, and combined with a reclined seat, doesn't pose any neckstrain issues.

Edit: another option, to get the projector closer to the ceiling, could be to flip it and put it on a high rear shelf.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-02-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

How many rows of seats? The main reason to raise the bottom of the screen is to ensure that second row seating, in combination with a riser, can see the bottom of the screen. If its just one row of seats, not as important. The other factor is trying to have your eyes, when seated, at a level that is within the middle third of the screen. But that's just a guideline too, some mount them higher, and combined with a reclined seat, doesn't pose any neckstrain issues.
Edit: another option, to get the projector closer to the ceiling, could be to flip it and put it on a high rear shelf.

Thanks to both you guys for the quick replies. I have two rows of seats, but I have yet to build the riser for the back row -- that should be taking place sometime within the next few weeks. Now that you mention it, I'm a little concerned about viewing angle because my seats recline pretty far back. In fact, one of my primary complaints about my current makeshift setup (Samsung 50" plasma) is that the screen isn't high enough for when you're reclined (i.e., kind of have to tilt head forward a little/look down to see center of screen).

Brad, I don't follow what you mean by "flip it and put it on a high rear shelf". Could you explain? Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewke View Post

Can you return the projector for another that has more flexible placement.....As you're gonna want the biggest screen you can fit......
That said, my screen is only about 30" off the floor....
What are the dimensions of your room?

I should be able to return the projector if that's what I'm inclined to do. Is there one in the $800 range that has a more flexible placement you'd recommend as an alternative to the HD20?

My room is 22 ft (length) x 13.8 ft (width -- i.e., wall on which screen will be mounted).
post #5 of 13 Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 AM

Liked: 11
Have you considered raising the center-line of the projector?

I was in the exact same scenario, dlp projector with on a 7ft-4in ceiling 19x14ft room and a 100" screen.

Needless to say, a hole went in the ceiling to where the projector would live, allowing me to regain that 6" mount drop, plus it really hides the projector well...

(Please excuse the duct-work, as it has yet to be covered...)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wAxr9DK0_og/T3Scgi4MQpI/AAAAAAAAHvY/h6wNzocOGA4/s800/IMG_1009.JPG

It may not work in everyone's situation, but a possible option...

Enjoy,
--billyM
post #6 of 13 Old 08-02-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackskier View Post

Have you considered raising the center-line of the projector?
I was in the exact same scenario, dlp projector with on a 7ft-4in ceiling 19x14ft room and a 100" screen.
Needless to say, a hole went in the ceiling to where the projector would live, allowing me to regain that 6" mount drop, plus it really hides the projector well...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wAxr9DK0_og/T3Scgi4MQpI/AAAAAAAAHvY/h6wNzocOGA4/s800/IMG_1009.JPG
It may not work in everyone's situation, but a possible option...
Enjoy,
--billyM

That's actually what I was just sitting here contemplating, Billy. Was that difficult to install? Did you merely have to cut a hole in the ceiling and mount it to the joists, or is it more involved than that? (FYI: I'm not completely helpless, but I'm not exactly a DIY wizard either). Also, what mount are you using?

Thanks a lot for the reply! Your room looks an awful lot like mine, and I'm intrigued by your solution! I'd really like to make the 100" work, both because I want to go as large as possible and because it's already on its way (lol).
post #7 of 13 Old 08-02-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 75
That's an interesting idea. So, what did you mount the pj mount to? Did you add extra blocking in between the floor joists, is it just hooked right up to the sub-floor?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #8 of 13 Old 08-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

I like the idea of recessing the mount that could solve your problem........but with two rows of seating i'd consider a 110" 120" 135" or 150" screen....

I have a similiar sized room 30 x 12.5 x 9......last 10 feet are the dinning room....so really 20 x 12.5......I run a 150" screen, I couldn't imagine only having a 100" screen.....150" might be too big for most...but a 110" 120" or even 135" would be better fit for two rows of seatting with low ceilings.....
post #9 of 13 Old 08-02-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I like the idea of recessing the mount that could solve your problem........but with two rows of seating i'd consider a 110" 120" 135" or 150" screen....
I have a similiar sized room 30 x 12.5 x 9......last 10 feet are the dinning room....so really 20 x 12.5......I run a 150" screen, I couldn't imagine only having a 100" screen.....150" might be too big for most...but a 110" 120" or even 135" would be better fit for two rows of seatting with low ceilings.....

I hear what you're saying -- I'd like to go larger as well -- but a 110" screen would put the bottom of the image only 20" off the floor. Would you not consider that too low? I'm also intending to mount the center beneath the screen, so I have that to consider. 20" would provide enough space to fit the center, but naturally would like it to be mounted as high as possible (then again, six inches may make no meaningful difference acoustically).
post #10 of 13 Old 08-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Having a low screen isn't all that bad, since most movies are 2.35:1.........but for 1.78:1 the second row might have a hard time seeing the bottom of the screen depending on the risers.....

Plus if you recess your projector.........gives you a little more room to work with....

What distance do you plan on having your two rows of seating?
post #11 of 13 Old 08-02-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Having a low screen isn't all that bad, since most movies are 2.35:1.........but for 1.78:1 the second row might have a hard time seeing the bottom of the screen depending on the risers.....
Plus if you recess your projector.........gives you a little more room to work with....
What distance do you plan on having your two rows of seating?

Yeah, I'm thinking the risers might have to be pretty high to ensure the back row can see the bottom portion of the screen.

As for the viewing positions, I haven't committed to anything and I have some space to work with, but I was thinking front row viewing distance would be roughly 13-14 feet and second row would be like 18-19 feet. I realize that's further back than most on here prefer to sit, but (a) I don't like to sit quite as close as the THX, etc., recommendations,; and (b) I was thinking a longer viewing distance might help with my concern that the lower screen might create an uncomfortable viewing angle when reclined (does that make sense?).
post #12 of 13 Old 08-03-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryams27 View Post

Yeah, I'm thinking the risers might have to be pretty high to ensure the back row can see the bottom portion of the screen.
As for the viewing positions, I haven't committed to anything and I have some space to work with, but I was thinking front row viewing distance would be roughly 13-14 feet and second row would be like 18-19 feet. I realize that's further back than most on here prefer to sit, but (a) I don't like to sit quite as close as the THX, etc., recommendations,; and (b) I was thinking a longer viewing distance might help with my concern that the lower screen might create an uncomfortable viewing angle when reclined (does that make sense?).

I did some additional measuring last night, and it looks like the front row viewing distance will be more like 12-12.5 feet. Back row will be roughly 18 feet.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Where will you be sitting most of the time?

100" will be good for the front row of seating.....a tad on the smaller side for the second row of seating......
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page