Designing a media closet--questions about xbox and others - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am in the process of building a house. I'm wanting a man cave with a 65" plasma or 70" LCD hanging on a wall with an entirely clean look. No wires, no components, no anything showing (i guess maybe except Kinect). We're doing in-wall speakers and a media closet with all my components. The media closet is about 20 feet from the sitting area and about 28 feet from the TV. An audio/video sound guy is going to be doing the work, but I have a few questions:

Xbox 360/Wii:

--Do you think wireless xbox and wii controllers will reach 20+ feet including going through a door to a media closet?
--Any ideas on how should I rig my Kinect/wii IR bar? I am assuming I am going to need some kind of long adapter for these.

Turtle Beach X41 wireless headphones:

--I can almost guarantee the signal on these will not reach 20+ feet plus through a door, b/c they crackle now if I move 10 feet from the wireless transmitter. Should I run a ridiculously long optical cable from my xbox all the way to the region where the TV is and mount the wireless receiver behind the TV or something?

Ventilation:

--In a 4' x 8' closet, will I need ventilation if I have a bunch of components in there?

Wiring:
--A/V guy said he should run a few Cat5 wires to carry the HDMI signal. to the TV rather than get a 50' long HDMI cord. Any pros/cons?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 11:50 PM

Liked: 10
For the cable run, you said that the distance is about 28ft to the TV. Is that 28 cable feet (including the direction it's going to be routed, corners, etc)? If it's under 30ft, I'd personally run a high quality HDMI cable as well as a handful of Ethernet at the same time. If the HDMI ever implodes on itself, you could easily convert the Ethernet to HDMI, or you could always use the Ethernet for other uses.

For the Kinect, Monoprice.com sells a variety of distance extension cables. For the Wii Sensor Bar, wireless is an option, although I've had spotty luck at that distance. I'd also say that ventilation is definitely a concern. You can use many types of fans or cooling units to circulate air. A passive vent cover somewhere to let air out of the closet might be a good call too.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 AM

Liked: 10
The Wii sensor bar doesn't "talk" with the Wii.
The only thing that wire does is provide power for the IR LED's and those LED's act as a reference point for the controller.

The Wireless sensor bar just uses battery power instead. So there should be no reason to worry about the distance as it doesn't care were the Wii is.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-06-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I have my xbox in another room and i can play no problem over 25 or 30 feet. Ventilation is a must! Anything over 85 degrees F will make the componets have a shorter life. I read somewhere that as much as 50% of their life gets cut off from temps over 85. I hope this helps.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #5 of 5 Old 08-06-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 190
By the way....This is how I did my setup. Same thing you are shooting for.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1394657/thompsons-living-room-setup

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page