Very small 8' x 9' 'man cave', TV or projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-04-2012, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a very small existing room that I will be turning into a 'man cave'. The measurements are 9'8" by 8'4" with 9' tall ceiling. Due to the design, the 9'8" has the door on 1 side and a window on the other side. So I was looking to put TV/screen on the 8'4" wall, looking at sitting around 7' from the screen. I will be watching movies, playing video games and watching sports/tv in this room.

I was wondering if it would be better to go with a projector or a TV since I will be sitting close to the screen?

I won't have much money to put into the setup, probably $1,000 total for setup, so realize this will be a limited setup with basic featuers.. this is just a room for a dad with 3 daughters to go watch movies and sports that the rest of the family doesn't like watching and watch them and turn up the volume without disturbing the rest of the family. I was looking at a basic under $250 5:1 surround system, maybe the Onkyo HT-S3500 package.. should provide enough sound for that small room to enjoy the movies and game.

Thanks,
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-04-2012, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I love my projector, but I wouldn't use one in that room. It's just too small. About 55" to 60" diagonal would be good.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-05-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

That's what I was wondering about. I figured I would check with you guys first before I went shopping.

Thank you for your help Jim.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-12-2012, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I wouldn't shy away from a projector in that space, out of hand. You will need to buy a short throw projector, and watch what screen size can be had.

I would be thinking 45x80" as a mimimum size screen.

Is recessing the projector in the back wall a possiblity?
post #5 of 13 Old 08-12-2012, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A projector will give you more bang for the buck. A white wall could serve as budget screen and you could have a 100" screen easily.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-12-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
He is going to sit 7' from the screen, and you're recommending a 100" diagonal screen? YIKES !!!
post #7 of 13 Old 08-12-2012, 09:09 PM

Well just last night me and my daughters piled in to watch "The Lorax" on our 120" screen, where we snuggled in was about half way of a 15' room and we enjoyed it very much. For the regular viewer bigger is better, however once someone gets the upgrade bug.. $$$. As a married man with children, don't make your room too cool, otherwise your man cave will be invaded.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 PM

The projector i bought for my HT was from a guy on craigslist who had a setup very similar to what you're proposing. He had one of those new suburban homes with very small bedrooms. I would guess he had it set up in a room about 10 x 11. The projector was as far against the wall as he could put it, and the couch directly under it. It was quite overwhelming to look at when i went to view it. I could imagine eye fatigue being an issue in a very short period of time.

I would definitely second the opinion of a nice 55" or 60".
post #9 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

This room is in the new garage I am having rebuilt due to fire. The garage is almost finished, but I could always modify the walls to insert the projector since the walls aren't painted yet and they will be plywood walls anyways.. that would just put it jutting into my wife's gardening room which she would roll her eyes at, but would let me do if needed, but that is a route I would not consider choice #1.

I was noticing the Optoma HD20 is on sale right now for under $700. On it's product description, it lists suggested distance/screen size as :
6' 55" max, 45" min
8' 73" max 61" min

Even flat against the back 8'4" wall, you are looking at 7'6" or so for the projector's distance from the wall.

I was pricing TV's and looking at around $1,000 for a decent 60" TV.. which is a bit over budget, but reachable. I would be willing to still go the projector route if it made sense.

Thanks again for your inputs, glad I checked back as I thought it would be a dead thread.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 PM

Consider posting the same question in the projector section. I have a little knowledge with projectors, people there have much more than I do.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo Doo Child View Post

This room is in the new garage I am having rebuilt due to fire. The garage is almost finished, but I could always modify the walls to insert the projector since the walls aren't painted yet and they will be plywood walls anyways.. that would just put it jutting into my wife's gardening room which she would roll her eyes at, but would let me do if needed, but that is a route I would not consider choice #1.
I was noticing the Optoma HD20 is on sale right now for under $700. On it's product description, it lists suggested distance/screen size as :
6' 55" max, 45" min
8' 73" max 61" min
Even flat against the back 8'4" wall, you are looking at 7'6" or so for the projector's distance from the wall.
I was pricing TV's and looking at around $1,000 for a decent 60" TV.. which is a bit over budget, but reachable. I would be willing to still go the projector route if it made sense.
Thanks again for your inputs, glad I checked back as I thought it would be a dead thread.
At that distance you will be able to have a screen size of 65" to almost 70" see projector calculator http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD20-projection-calculator-pro.htm. You will not be able to watch with the lights on.. Flat panel would be the way to go.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 13 Old 08-15-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Doug.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-16-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo Doo Child View Post

The measurements are 9'8" by 8'4" with 9' tall ceiling. Due to the design, the 9'8" has the door on 1 side and a window on the other side. So I was looking to put TV/screen on the 8'4" wall, looking at sitting around 7' from the screen.
You say you are putting the screen on the 8'4 wall? You later talk about mounting a projector on the 8'4" wall. This means the room length would be 9'8" and would help with mounting a projector. Are you sure you don't mean the screen/projector would be mounted on the 9'8" wide wall?

I would suggest starting with a 2.1 system first and then adding center/surround speakers. I first started with a small Klipsch 5.1 system and realized later how much better a real sub and speakers sounded. Hsu Research sells a nice Value 1 2.1 system for $630 shipped. They provide discounts for future purchases or you can get something from their clearance center. If you would rather start with 5.1 then I would recommend the Performance 1 Package for $562 shipped. I have setup two of these systems and they sound great in a smaller room. You don't need to use the 6th speaker that is included. Just keep it as a spare.

ShopOnkyo has an Onkyo TX-SR309 (it is free to become a member) for only $139. It should be a good step up from what is included in the HTIB. I have bought several cheaper receivers for family/friends from here.

You should be able to find a nice 720p projector for fairly cheap used (I know someone selling one here wink.gif). Since the image size will need to be under 80", you won't be able to tell much difference from a 1080p projector. If you use an HTPC for gaming, the lower resolution helps with fps. The small image size will also greatly increase the brightness of the projector for use during ambient light.

Initially you can project on the wall or you can buy a piece of Center Stage XD fabric from Seymour AV for $65-$75. You would only need 3-3 1/2 linear ft. You can make a wooden frame for a few bucks and mount the screen on the frame. Just hang it on the wall for now and move it forward a foot if/when you add a center speaker. By the way, I use a phantom center in my room and it is larger than yours.

This system could cost a little over $1000, but would give you a great starting point. Don't forget to budget for cables, wall mounts, and stands.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Projectors , Displays , Onkyo Ht S3500 5 1 Channel Home Theater Speaker Receiver Package
Gear in this thread - S3500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page