Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by itallushrt View Post

*scratches head.

Batman made his first appearance in Detective Comics #27 in 1939. Yeah, 1939.

It might be safe to say this fellow has been a fan since before the current film trilogy.

Just sayin...

Yes, but the design is based upon the current interpretation of Batman. When they do Batman 10-15 years from now, this room will look tacky, just as the 1989-1997 movies do now. When they do another Batman 50 years or more from now, this room will look retro and once again, cool.

I'm all for ornate theatres and miss the era of movie palaces, but I think this one might just be a bit too busy and would be distracting when watching movies. Although this person is obviously rich enough to redo the room entirely every few years.

I do agree that some people simply do have too much money. I also have to wonder how someone whose apparent cultural ideal is Batman has made so much money. Some boys never grow up.

Some years ago I attended a Halloween party at a modern mansion on the north shore of Long Island. The house itself was probably about 300' long. There was a home theatre in the basement that had been featured in a book about home theatres. It was based on a specific famous movie theatre. In the "lobby" of this home theatre was a great deal of art by a very famous artist as well as many original movie posters. All quite beautiful.

So the very proud owner comes down to show it off, but he didn't know how to operate any of it. He had to get his son to turn it on and play something. And in the end (and this was before the days of HDTV and Blu-ray), the sound and projection was actually pretty awful. A much smaller direct-view CRT would have been a vast improvement as would going to a decent movie theatre, which this guy could have done every night of his life via limousine with champagne and still spent less than he spent on his theatre.

There's one side of me that loves these extravagant home theatres and another side of me that imagines some lonely baby boomer sitting in the basement by himself (even if he's married) watching some bad action movie. It's one thing to enjoy a movie like Batman every few years and another thing to be obsessed with the character. This guy is obviously obsessed.
post #33 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casemon View Post

When you say "right to judge" it's not about judgement, it's about recognizing the fact that when 1 person has an inordinate amount of access to resources, it affects everyone else.
The programming that somehow collecting a million dollars however you can has no bearing on the lives of others is absolute propaganda; I must have assumed you were smarter than to buy into that?
Yes, that's right, to live these privileged lives based on material aquisition REQUIRES that other people suffer; it's all a matter of degree.
Just because you've resigned yourself to the comfortable abstraction of exploiting and causing suffering in people that you never meet, doesn't mean it isn't a topic worth discussing.
No, last I checked this was an AV forum, and as such, each of us (every single one of us) is free to discuss AV from any angle they choose; including ways that make you uncomfortable and challenge your accepted exploitations of others.
That's your opinion. On the other side of the coin, I see your post as trying to be the policeman of what is allowed to be discussed here; you have no right to do so.
As I see it, this discussion is very relevant to the topic, otherwise why include the cost in the title? Riddle me that Batman.

First I direct you to a a little reading:
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/straw-man.html
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/personal-attack.html
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/confusing-cause-and-effect.html

Please read and understand those before continuing if you would like to have a real discussion.

With that out of the way.

It is judgement, when people say what they are saying about spending that level of money they are judging them on their choices.

No, wealth does not REQUIRE that other people suffer, you can make wealth without ruining other people.

And no, this is an AV forum, you can spin it all you want but you brought economic and political discussions to a thread that is about a home theater.

Oh of course, how silly of me, its obvious the price is in the title because the author was making a statement about the misuse of excessive wealth and its affects on the current economy and not because its something people like to know not to mention being part of the hook rolleyes.gif

Not wasting anymore of my time with this.
post #34 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD888 View Post

Question. What happens when you get tired of the Batman theme? smile.gif

Without going into the whole class war attacks, I'm guessing this guy could remodel into his current favorite movie without much trouble tongue.gif

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Love it. Its absolutely gorgeous.
post #36 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 04:59 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

@BDD888
Yeah, it seems to be emphasis on form over function. Looks cool though!
Wonder if they couldn't do it much cheaper using movie set techniques & materials; it's all aesthetic backdrop anyway, so it's not like it needs to be functionally sound.

I guess the owner was a HUGE Batman fan. smile.gif IMHO he could have taken a different approach and tuned it for sound at the same time. By using a lot of black and shades of gray. Put the Batman costume just outside the HT room along with other life size figures of whatever he's into. Maybe have a Gladiator figure with the movie poster next to it...etc.

As I said, if it were me I wouldn't focus too much on too specific a theme. TK has the right idea. And I don't think his HT concepts cost 2M either (could be wrong).

For me, guess I'll have to keep buying lottery tickets so i can afford that mega-mansion with the 20 foot ceilings and a 20 x 28 foot room for TK to do his magic. smile.gif
post #37 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cheesy. People have to do something with their money, I guess.
post #38 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Yuck.
I mean, it's quite impressive on purely artistic/design grounds. But even with the HT chairs it doesn't look inviting as a place to spend time watching movies.
I guess I just prefer comfort - including aesthetically - over ornate or odd surroundings for spending my movie-watching time.
Always interesting to see what people do with too much money, though...

^^That ^^

I'd like a nice theater as much as the next bloke, but I've seen better, and probably more acoustically sound DIY theaters that cost a hell of a lot less. And they spent wisely on the right equipment and acoustics. This really seems like a frivolous waste of money in order for some rich person to say: mine's bigger than yours. Probably a Wall Street banker.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #39 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

^^That ^^
I'd like a nice theater as much as the next bloke, but I've seen better, and probably more acoustically sound DIY theaters that cost a hell of a lot less. And they spent wisely on the right equipment and acoustics. This really seems like a frivolous waste of money in order for some rich person to say: mine's bigger than yours. Probably a Wall Street banker.

+1 on that

Remember... no matter where you go, there you are.
post #40 of 51 Old 08-25-2012, 01:01 AM

It must be nice...

¤ÃiRÂÿSoúÂh¤ - It's a way of LIFE!
post #41 of 51 Old 08-25-2012, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If he really is his hero this guy has given plenty to charity people, chill out, he probably owns an orphanage or two somewhere. Hopefully they donate most of it in their will and i hope he actually watched it in a room full of people at the local multiplex because that's part of the action in a mega block-bluster like TDKR

post #42 of 51 Old 08-25-2012, 05:54 AM

I'm sure Mr. Wayne will enjoy sitting by himself in there, watching movies.
post #43 of 51 Old 08-25-2012, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Really cool looking until you watch some comedy movies......also major failure that they didn't elavate the center and rear seating. 10 seats out out the 15 are totally useless....fail fail fail!

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #44 of 51 Old 08-26-2012, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'll take two please!
post #45 of 51 Old 08-26-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:

When you say "right to judge" it's not about judgement, it's about recognizing the fact that when 1 person has an inordinate amount of access to resources, it affects everyone else.
The programming that somehow collecting a million dollars however you can has no bearing on the lives of others is absolute propaganda; I must have assumed you were smarter than to buy into that?
Yes, that's right, to live these privileged lives based on material aquisition REQUIRES that other people suffer; it's all a matter of degree.
Just because you've resigned yourself to the comfortable abstraction of exploiting and causing suffering in people that you never meet, doesn't mean it isn't a topic worth discussing.
No, last I checked this was an AV forum, and as such, each of us (every single one of us) is free to discuss AV from any angle they choose; including ways that make you uncomfortable and challenge your accepted exploitations of others.
That's your opinion. On the other side of the coin, I see your post as trying to be the policeman of what is allowed to be discussed here; you have no right to do so.
As I see it, this discussion is very relevant to the topic, otherwise why include the cost in the title? Riddle me that Batman.

The way I see it, if a person spends a few million on a theater -- lots of people benefit.

All the people at Elite Home Theater Seating get to keep their jobs.
Everyone that supplies EHTS, built the props, built the computer systems, even built the popcorn maker they all benefit.
Here's probably thousands of people who had a part in this, even if it was supplying the carpet.

It is better if people spend their wealth because it keeps the money cycle moving.

If this guy didn't spend $2 million, then he would have kept it in the bank where it wouldn't do anyone any good.

I suppose he could give it to people so they don't have to work the make the carpet for his theater. But then people would always be dependent on others giving them money.

No, spending your money as fast as you can is the best way to keep other people from suffering.

I know I spend as much as I can. Savings are evil, spending is good.
er dan gill likes this.
post #46 of 51 Old 08-26-2012, 04:02 PM

Do not fool yourselves.....

With that kind of money the height of the seats are not a problem.....

You choose your friends by height ranging from 5 feet (front seats) to 6,10" (back seats) problem solved !!!
post #47 of 51 Old 08-27-2012, 05:06 AM

Liked: 15
Oh you silly movie theater-phile geeks... Even though this is a designated home theater, it's a "Batman themed" basement home theater. It's not just about building a $2M movie theater with perfect sound, reflection points, picture, blah blah blaaaah. It's about the experience of being in a real batman cave. It's about putting a fireplace, arcade in the back, Gotham features in lighting, gargoyles over the doors, bat suit, awesome bookshelf secret pocket doors that reveal a freaking bat mobile. ARE YOU KIDDING ME, HE HAS A FREAKING BAT MOBILE IN HIS BASEMENT? Who doesn't want this in their basement. 2 story ceilings... fireplace... freaking bat mobile... Sounds like a lot of sour grapes. When you have $2M to throw into a HT, you can do whatever you want.
ThemBones likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 51 Old 09-07-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [OC]Pik4chu View Post

First I direct you to a a little reading:
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/straw-man.html
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/personal-attack.html
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/confusing-cause-and-effect.html
Please read and understand those before continuing if you would like to have a real discussion.
With that out of the way.
Uhh no, thank you, am already very familiar with ad-hominem, straw-man, logical fallacies, and other ineffective means of discourse. Do you care to illustrate PRECISELY where I employ ANY of those tactics?

All I did was disagree with you and did so without any personal attack. If you cannot hold your own in a discussion without making false accusations, then maybe you yourself should do more reading & understanding first?

Hope this helps (though am doubtful you can see how).
Quote:

It is judgement, when people say what they are saying about spending that level of money they are judging them on their choices.
No, wealth does not REQUIRE that other people suffer, you can make wealth without ruining other people.
Sorry, no your statement is simply false. With finite resources (such as money) any uneven distribution affects others who rely on it. That's just science man and you obviously do not understand how fiat currency works (but somehow feel compelled to correct others about it?).

Sorry, i know you don't see it this way, but this is not an attack; mine is a statement of fact based on evidence. You'd do well to try the technique sometime.
Quote:

And no, this is an AV forum, you can spin it all you want but you brought economic and political discussions to a thread that is about a home theater.
Oh of course, how silly of me, its obvious the price is in the title because the author was making a statement about the misuse of excessive wealth and its affects on the current economy and not because its something people like to know not to mention being part of the hook rolleyes.gif
Your resort to sarcasm shows the strength of your position. Despite your claims otherwise, if money is in the title, then yes, am free to discuss the value; even if it challenges your accepted notions of what money is.

Obviously you have your own personal fences around the topic of money, and for some reason believe you are the policeman on what is acceptable here, but try to understand that YOUR VIEWS ARE LIMITED TO YOU; you cannot impose your views on others and expect to be taken seriously.

I've stated mine, and if you disagree with mine, that's great... but in your reply, if you don't want to look ridiculous, you can start by stating facts (and without sarcasm, thanks).
Quote:

I'm done with you too! smile.gif
post #49 of 51 Old 09-13-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:

Uhh no, thank you, am already very familiar with ad-hominem, straw-man, logical fallacies, and other ineffective means of discourse. Do you care to illustrate PRECISELY where I employ ANY of those tactics?

The fact that you ask, means you actually dont understand. I could just quote your posts where you did each one but they are your posts, if you didnt read them when you wrote them why would you read them if I posted them again? LOL

This home theater gave people jobs.
post #50 of 51 Old 09-17-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD888 View Post

Question. What happens when you get tired of the Batman theme? smile.gif

If you have two million just for the theater the answer probably is just tear it out and build your latest favorite theme.

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #51 of 51 Old 12-29-2012, 06:53 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

HARD-CORE!!!!!!!! They chose well by going with this theme, as Batman has been popular for decades and shall continue to be popular into the foreseeable future. The sheer awesomeness overshadows the minor omissions, which--when you think about it, is normal. Sacrifices are made in every theater.. $2 Million Dollars well spent!

I agree

Frank

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page