Check out this $2 Million Dark Knight Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 08-06-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Got a couple million bucks to burn? Elite Home Theater Seating is currently in the process of building the ultimate Batman-inspired home theater in a private, 12,000 sq. ft. home in Greenwich, Conn.

The $2 million Dark Knight Home Theater boasts a 180-inch movie screen, as well as plenty of Wayne Manor/Batcave-inspired accessories, including ample stalactites, gargoyles, and "a cylinder-shaped elevator which touts the bat symbol."

If that wasn't enough, the screening room features a retractable bookshelf which pulls back to reveal Batman's Tumbler vehicle, as well as multiple, life-size Batsuits on display. And just to throw you off, there is a fake exit "created to look like a secret tunnel spanning about 30 feet."

According to Elite HTS's website, the company set out "to fuse together the cozy elements of Wayne Manor with the Art Deco styling of Gotham City."

The elaborate theater is expected to be completed by November 2012.

http://mashable.com/2012/08/06/dark-knight-home-theater/
capnsmak likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 08-06-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
>> The theater seats are designed to resemble what’s inside the Batmobile

So, black leather. biggrin.gif

Looks very cool, would like to see real shots of the pirate theater if they actually did it beyond the cool renders...

For this one, how are they going to handle the massive glow from the batcomputer onto the screen? Or do you just turn all that off for actually using the room? That would be a shame. And the last thing I'd need in my theater is a fireplace! There's enough heat load as it is!!! eek.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 51 Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Wow I love it!!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #4 of 51 Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Only 2 million? I've got my wife checking on possibilities as I type!
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #5 of 51 Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 AM

Liked: 41
On behalf of all of us schmoes with 7' 4" basement ceilings, just let me be the first to say: "I'm happy for you. Oh. Yes. I'm so &%$!ing happy for you. Really."
gridbug and erhurd like this.

Just keep talkin'. I'll let you know when you're right.
post #6 of 51 Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 AM

Liked: 16
Looks pretty,
but where's the acoustic panels and diffusers / bass traps?. Nice cinema! smile.gif
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #7 of 51 Old 08-07-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I hope that people don't fight for the front row seats. I mean the rows behind that aren't even elevated. They will just see the head(s) in front of them.

Seems like a pipe-dream render more than an actual real-world design of something awesome. As mentioned above, this is all glitz, and so many sound and light issues that seem to have gotten the "we don't give a crap, it looks cool" treatment.

- Nick Buol

post #8 of 51 Old 08-07-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Y'all should check out the $1,000,000 Magnum P.I. home theater I built back in 1983.

There's nothing wrong with spending money when you (obviously) have too much of it, but spending that much on a trendy movie is going to make you feel like a real moron when that movie is no longer popular.

post #9 of 51 Old 08-07-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Cool, until you have to dust the stalactites...smile.gif

post #10 of 51 Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
I once reached out to Elite for a quote on a similar (maybe the same?) chair they are displaying in this theater. Only I wanted them to price it with a custom insert to match the quilted leather look of the Egoist Edition GT-R. I'll try to find the pic when I get the chance, I think I might still have their quote as well. I want to say it was $35K for 7 seats, so this theater has about $75K in seating alone.

Of the $2Mil it really makes me wonder what kind of actual audio/video performance it will produce. Maybe it's my poor man thinking, but if I'm dropping that much cash I better be getting the Bugatti of Home Theaters. All sho and all go...nothing less.

post #11 of 51 Old 08-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
hope none of the stalactites fall on anyone...
post #12 of 51 Old 08-07-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post

hope none of the stalactites fall on anyone...

They shouldn't fall, but if it's done for true batcave realism, they will drip on you... biggrin.gif

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #13 of 51 Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 312
HARD-CORE!!!!!!!! They chose well by going with this theme, as Batman has been popular for decades and shall continue to be popular into the foreseeable future. The sheer awesomeness overshadows the minor omissions, which--when you think about it, is normal. Sacrifices are made in every theater.. $2 Million Dollars well spent!
kberta likes this.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #14 of 51 Old 08-07-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 View Post

Looks pretty,
but where's the acoustic panels and diffusers / bass traps?. Nice cinema! smile.gif
I would think that the random angles on the walls would act as good diffusers and if they use the right material could be absorption as well.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #15 of 51 Old 08-08-2012, 04:22 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

Y'all should check out the $1,000,000 Magnum P.I. home theater I built back in 1983.
There's nothing wrong with spending money when you (obviously) have too much of it, but spending that much on a trendy movie is going to make you feel like a real moron when that movie is no longer popular.

*scratches head.

Batman made his first appearance in Detective Comics #27 in 1939. Yeah, 1939.

It might be safe to say this fellow has been a fan since before the current film trilogy.

Just sayin...

post #16 of 51 Old 08-08-2012, 06:40 AM

Liked: 10
WOW!

post #17 of 51 Old 08-08-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Pretty darn cool, but seems to be "all hat, no cattle" wink.gif

------

post #18 of 51 Old 08-09-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Yuck.

I mean, it's quite impressive on purely artistic/design grounds. But even with the HT chairs it doesn't look inviting as a place to spend time watching movies.
I guess I just prefer comfort - including aesthetically - over ornate or odd surroundings for spending my movie-watching time.

Always interesting to see what people do with too much money, though...

Rich H

post #19 of 51 Old 08-12-2012, 06:00 PM

That is too cool! I look forward to a Superman Themed theater room! wink.gif

My new site is up:
- the ultimate in pre-movie showing, it's a fun hobby!
post #20 of 51 Old 08-13-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Like Fonzie, I think it's cool.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #21 of 51 Old 08-13-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshawnmcdonald View Post

WHAT??? You're going to rent a Redbox for a $1??? Don't you know that dollar could feed three starving children today?
Great googlety moogelty.

I should have just started with this...

helen-lovejoy.jpg

I guess I'll end with it instead. biggrin.gif

Theater build photos:

post #22 of 51 Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I hope that people don't fight for the front row seats. I mean the rows behind that aren't even elevated. They will just see the head(s) in front of them.

I can tell you who would be the first to put her behind in the LAST row seats.... Watching a movie is nice, but warming your butt to a wood fire is far nicer still as far as my misses is concernd;)

Building a HT with 7.2.4 layout and ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR.
post #23 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That is the nicest home theater I have ever seen and if he is a fan I would say he is a lucky man. Other than elevating the seats I think the room is perfect.
post #24 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM

It is nice looking. Let's hope there's not a fire, and someone takes off running down the false exit - and then the owner, installer and all involved with it's design fall prey to a lawsuit. . .
post #25 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 12:47 PM

While i think this is a novel idea for a home cinema, don't agree it is a "holier than thou" attitude to say spending the resources required to execute this completely forgettable piece of kitsch reflects anything less than a gross distortion of our collective social values.

Honestly, don't know when it became cool to laugh at people who hold compassion for others, even those they have never met? You think it's a good idea for us all to fight over resources that would be abundant if not for outdated & forced mechanisms of scarcity that only benefit the few at the cost of the many? As long as you get your 5 cars and 5 houses first? Didn't we evolve away from Aristocracy for a reason?

Further, how will anything less than utmost compassion for everyone in our human family (without exception) enable our species to survive & prosper going forward in this modern age?

Or is it that more escalating conflict based on the notion of "more for me less for you" is the only possible good idea for a society, and is going to somehow help solve our shared resource concerns? If you know, or have an idea, share with the class please?

Or perhaps, this the last gasp of the American dream? (You know what it is called that right? Because you have to be asleep to believe it! wink.gif )

Lastly, I don't know what is more ridiculous: spending $2M on 1 person's batcave home theatre, or comparing that to giving $1 to Redbox as being somehow similar...
post #26 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 01:04 PM

Liked: 12
Love the way this looks, I think I would change just a few things to make it more usable as a true theater than a show piece (like lifting the back rows of the seats, lol) It honestly has a sort of feel of a starting point for a Disney ride. I am half expecting a passenger car to come rolling in from the side hallway haha. And I like it.

What is with all this holier than thou garbage, I thought this was a forum about Audio and Video equipment for the home and professional use? No one, not a single person has any right to judge someone for what they chose to spend their money on. It is THEIR money, not yours, you want money spent the way you want it, use your own. And when you post stuff like that in a thread that is about a home theater system, what you are doing is called trolling. You arent trying to show what is good for humanity or society or being noble in any way or whatever excuse you want to use to justify, you are trolling someone else's hard work and a person's choice to pay them for that work.
northbreeze likes this.
post #27 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [OC]Pik4chu View Post

No one, not a single person has any right to judge someone for what they chose to spend their money on. It is THEIR money, not yours, you want money spent the way you want it, use your own.
When you say "right to judge" it's not about judgement, it's about recognizing the fact that when 1 person has an inordinate amount of access to resources, it affects everyone else.

The programming that somehow collecting a million dollars however you can has no bearing on the lives of others is absolute propaganda; I must have assumed you were smarter than to buy into that?

Yes, that's right, to live these privileged lives based on material aquisition REQUIRES that other people suffer; it's all a matter of degree.

Just because you've resigned yourself to the comfortable abstraction of exploiting and causing suffering in people that you never meet, doesn't mean it isn't a topic worth discussing.

No, last I checked this was an AV forum, and as such, each of us (every single one of us) is free to discuss AV from any angle they choose; including ways that make you uncomfortable and challenge your accepted exploitations of others.
Quote:
And when you post stuff like that in a thread that is about a home theater system, what you are doing is called trolling. You arent trying to show what is good for humanity or society or being noble in any way or whatever excuse you want to use to justify, you are trolling someone else's hard work and a person's choice to pay them for that work.
That's your opinion. On the other side of the coin, I see your post as trying to be the policeman of what is allowed to be discussed here; you have no right to do so.

As I see it, this discussion is very relevant to the topic, otherwise why include the cost in the title? Riddle me that Batman.
post #28 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 01:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casemon View Post

While i think this is a novel idea for a home cinema, don't agree it is a "holier than thou" attitude to say spending the resources required to execute this completely forgettable piece of kitsch reflects anything less than a gross distortion of our collective social values.
Honestly, don't know when it became cool to laugh at people who hold compassion for others, even those they have never met? You think it's a good idea for us all to fight over resources that would be abundant if not for outdated & forced mechanisms of scarcity that only benefit the few at the cost of the many? As long as you get your 5 cars and 5 houses first? Didn't we evolve away from Aristocracy for a reason?...

Well, yeah. But we've since devolved into a plutocracy that protects and engorges the wealth of the rich and shameless. Just sayin' rolleyes.gif

Now, roll film cool.gif

Remember... no matter where you go, there you are.
post #29 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 01:38 PM

Question. What happens when you get tired of the Batman theme? smile.gif Do you always want to be looking at Batman paraphernalia? And as some one pointed out...where are the bass traps, difusers and absorbers? Too many hard surfaces and angles. I'd rather keep it more simple and have the room acoustically "sound". Like some of the designs from Theo Kalomirakis. Check out the Apollo...

http://www.tktheaters.com/portfolio.html

And also...as some one else mentioned...most of us have basement ceilings less than 8 feet. So unless you happen to own a mega-mansion in Beverly Hills...
post #30 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 01:41 PM

@BDD888
Yeah, it seems to be emphasis on form over function. Looks cool though!

Wonder if they couldn't do it much cheaper using movie set techniques & materials; it's all aesthetic backdrop anyway, so it's not like it needs to be functionally sound.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page