My semi-dedicated theater room rebuild - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-08-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone, I've been reading through posts and checking out everyone's builds and wishing I had the time/money/space to build some of the amazing rooms that people on here have, but I'm still happy with what I have so far.
So my basement is not set up for a theater room, there is a big beam running across the room with a post right in the middle, as well as only have 7 1/2 foot high ceilings, but I knew I wanted a big screen and I think I've made pretty good use of my space without having to alter the support pillar or beam, because it would cost way too much for me.

So here is a picture of what I had put in there to begin with, I was using a Da-Lite manual pull down 106" matte white screen with an Optoma HD200X projector. Marantz SR6004 receiver and Monitor Audio Bronze BX6 front speakers, BX centre channel and CPC BR in-ceiling rear speakers. (I kept all the audio equipment and just upgraded my projector and screen.

As you can see in the picture, everything is very white and there is a large ugly light box in the middle of the ceiling that is huge and obnoxious and it had to go!

First thing I did was pull that light box down.

Then I got to scraping down the textured ceiling, I wrestled with the idea of trying to patch the ceiling and repairing the textured ceiling, but I wanted it to be darker, and after reading about painting it and the implications of that, I decided to just remove it.

In this picture you can see my old projector mount and the old track lighting on the damaged ceiling.

It was fairly dirty, but I used a spray bottle to wet the area, then a wide putty knife to scrape it down, and most of it came down pretty easily
The ceiling was pretty badly damaged, from running wires for the projector and speakers, also from the large light box that I removed.

Then I went to work adding pot lights behind the viewing area, where the track lighting used to be.

If I had more money and help I probably would have taken down the entire ceiling so that the drywall would be more even and I wouldnt have to mud and tape so much, but I was doing this on a budget, and I don't have a lift, so this is what I did, turned out pretty good in the end though.

Then I got to work on painting, first I used a tinted primer on the walls and ceiling.

Then I moved onto the color. It is called "Great Graphite" from Cloverdale paint, I used a flat sheen for the ceiling and a semi-gloss for the walls, I thought about using flat for the walls as well, but it's really hard to maintain, so I went with the semi gloss, which is still pretty flat.

Here is the new projector I got. Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3010 (I wish I could have gotten the 5010, but at twice the price, it blew my budget out of the water)
Overall I'm very happy with this projector, it's very bright, even in ECO mode, and its whisper quiet, much quieter than my old Optoma HD200X.

This is the trim and halogen bulbs for the pot lights, they cast a nice concentrated beam, much better than the old track lighting.

The new screen is a GrandView 106" Prestige Fixed frame High contrast Grey 0.8 gain, I'm extremely happy with this screen, the build quality is top-notch. The aluminum frame is very sturdy and it bolts together with very simple corner brackets and it has a nice black velvet felt on the front that does a great job of absorbing any overshot from the projector. The screen material is very thick with a nice flexible black backing that doesn't let any light bleed through and it has reinforced grommets for the mounting mechanism that uses a metal rod on each edge to stretch the fabric uniformly and clip into the plugs on the frame.
Overall very happy with the screen and I would recommend GrandView to anyone!

Here is the screen mounted on the wall, because the new projector has a different throw angle then my old projector, the screen is slightly higher than the old screen, which is more comfortable to watch.

Now some pictures of the screen, these are just wallpapers off my HTPC, all of these pictures were taken with my iPhone 4 so the quality sucks, if I can get my hands on a good DSLR I will take some better pictures, but this is just to give you all an idea of what it looks like, in person is looks amazing, blacks are deep and inky, the colors really pop and even with the grey material the whites are brilliant.

That's all I have for now, I've replaced all the plugs and switches with black decora as well as replaced all the vents and I am going to paint the doors, trim and the stair balusters black. The next step for me is replacing the couch, its difficult finding something that will fit in the space, but I'm sure I'll find something soon, then I will replace the carpet, and at that point I'll be happy...for the time being.

I'd like to hear any comments or answer any questions, this site is my inspiration for redoing my basement, and hopefully one day I'll have the means to build an awesome dedicated theater room like some of the ones I see on here, thanks guys!
Mikkle likes this.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page