A Really Humble Built - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-09-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Greetings,

I have been lurking here and reading many of your fabulous builts. I have a walkout basement which is going to be developed by a contractor. I wanted to put a 11'x19' media room in. It’ll a closed out room but I don’t plan on spending too much to make it a truly dedicated media room. The idea is that when I sell the house down the road, this media room could easily be converted into a bedroom by the prospective buyer.

This picture is probably how I envision this room will look like at the end.

My contractor does not know how to build media room so the followings are what I plan to do. Please let me know if I’m on the right track or not.

1. The ceiling will be knock down ceiling with pot lights.

2. I’ll ask the contractor to insulate the whole room (4 walls and the ceiling).

3. I’ll put heavy carpet in the room with heavy underlay and I’ll paint the room dark brown or dark grey.

4. I’ll buy a 106” screen and mount it myself.

5. I’ll buy wires from monoprice and make it into a 7.2 wiring. I’ll hire a guy that a store recommends to do the wiring. I can probably do the wiring myself but this is probably the most important of the media room built so I am willing to spend a few hundred to make sure I do this right.

6. The front speakers will be on stands and the surround speakers will be mounted on brackets. To save money, there’ll be no in wall of anything and the equipment will be put on a rack.

7. There will only be a one row of seats, probably a sectional with leg rest. I can decide after the room is built.

I would like to solicit your opinion on my plans. Is there anything that I have missed or could have done better? The idea is just to build a room with all the wiring done. And if you remove the screen and the equipment, the room can be converted into a bedroom or office easily.

Thank you for reading my post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-11-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Greetings and welcome.

Well I think you are on the right track for the majority of the items. A couple of things. Having the contractor insulate the whole room is just fine, but if you are doing this to mitigate sound from the room and that is all that you do you might not be happy with the results. There is a lot that goes into sound isolation/insulation and far too many details to go into here in just one post. What you are planning on doing helps, but not as much as you may think.

I would also not limit yourself with a 106" screen. I would get the room set up projector mounted and the seating where you want and test many different sizes to see what works for you.

Dark colors are best even on the ceiling. When you say knockdown what do you mean? Tiles or a drywall finish?

Sounds like you are well on your way.

Good Luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page