Streaming solutions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newbie here. I apologize in advance if there is an abundance of this information already available.

I am looking for a home media solution. I am wanting to purchase some sort of storage device, to save all of my media to, and can have it permanently connected to my TV, as so that I can watch my videos / music at all times, while not tying up my other devices. Hopefully I described what I am looking for correctly, but in case i didnt, below I will share my thought process.

Recently I've been downloading torrents to the girlfriends netbook, and using a VGA cable, I use our TV as a monitor to watch the movies we've downloaded. I understand that this is not even close to a solution, but it works. I am getting close to filling her hard drive, as it is only 80 GB. My first solution, was to buy a large external hard drive, and just saving our media files to it, and using it as a dedicated media drive. However, I would like to be able to not tie up her netbook, while watching movies. So my next thought, was to salvage an older and outdated PC somewhere, putting a large HD into it, and setting it up next to my computer and use it as a dedicated media computer, used solely for playing videos/music to my tv. My friend had said something about getting a NAS (Network storage device), and apple tv box, and using both of them together would be a solution.

Can anyone else describe what they've done or what they would recommend?

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-15-2012, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by connam06 View Post

Newbie here. I apologize in advance if there is an abundance of this information already available.
I am looking for a home media solution. I am wanting to purchase some sort of storage device, to save all of my media to, and can have it permanently connected to my TV, as so that I can watch my videos / music at all times, while not tying up my other devices. Hopefully I described what I am looking for correctly, but in case i didnt, below I will share my thought process.
Recently I've been downloading torrents to the girlfriends netbook, and using a VGA cable, I use our TV as a monitor to watch the movies we've downloaded. I understand that this is not even close to a solution, but it works. I am getting close to filling her hard drive, as it is only 80 GB. My first solution, was to buy a large external hard drive, and just saving our media files to it, and using it as a dedicated media drive. However, I would like to be able to not tie up her netbook, while watching movies. So my next thought, was to salvage an older and outdated PC somewhere, putting a large HD into it, and setting it up next to my computer and use it as a dedicated media computer, used solely for playing videos/music to my tv. My friend had said something about getting a NAS (Network storage device), and apple tv box, and using both of them together would be a solution.
Can anyone else describe what they've done or what they would recommend?
Thank you in advance!

This discussion would be better served here: http://www.avsforum.com/f/39/networking-media-servers-content-streamers

Mods, could you move?
post #3 of 4 Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Are you paying for these downloads or stealing them .. ??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-15-2012, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
agreed, this should be moved. but as a side note, not sure if it is in the budget, but many new displays offer USB inputs for using external memory for video playback.

underachiever extraordinaire
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Displays , Cables Interconnects

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page