planning a new home theater system - some questions regarding pc connectivity to receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am in the process of overhauling the home theater system for my folks since they are moving into a new apartment and I figured this would be the best time to drag them kicking and screaming into the 21st century .

I have not selected specific components just yet because I have a few requirements unique to the room. Here is a very crude layout of the room done in ms paint:

My budget on this system is about $4k or so. With this, I plan on getting two televisions (55" in living room drawn above and 46" in a different room), two wall mounts, a new receiver and 5.1 speaker system, possibly two extra speakers for a separate stereo setup, and an RF capable remote.

Since line of sight isn't an issue (but running cables across the room is), I intend on using the DVDO Air to send HDMI wirelessly from the receiver to the TV.

Now the big issue here is I'd like to connect a desktop I plan on building in the very near future to the home theater system as well so I can use a wireless mouse and keyboard and control the computer from the TV. I'm not concerned about running the computer signal over a 20 ft hdmi cable along the wall; I'm concerned that the receiver will somehow adversely affect the picture of the computer. This happened to me when I connected my desktop (Nvidia GTX 570 graphics card) to my Emotiva UMC-1. I might have been able to fix it with some kind of video pass through on the HDMI, but I just connected to HDMI cable from the graphics card directly into my Sony XBR7 instead and that solved my problem. Unfortunately I cannot do that work-around here...unless I plan on buying two DVDO Air devices, but at $400 a pop, I'd rather find an affordable receiver that can pass through the computer signal without distorting it on the TV.

This system is still in the planning stages. My main restrictions are my budget and room layout.
For the 55", I'm considering the Samsung UN55EH6000FXZA because my folks do not need apps or 3D. If they want Netflicks, there is a PS3 (or the desktop if we can solve this hdmi issue). I believe I get discounts from my company on Onkyo receivers, but I'm not set on them by any means. As far as speakers go, the Klipsch HD Theater 600 seem pretty good - my folks want small speakers.

Based on some initial pricing, the two TV's will run me about $2k, the wireless HDMI is $400, and the universal remote (Logitech Harmony 1100 maybe?) is $250, so I got maybe $1300 to work with (I could go up to $1500 here though) on the sound system and wall mounts. Perhaps those extra two speakers may have to wait.

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-17-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 325
My experience, as well as those of a couple of people I've tried to help, is that you should not expect HD home electronics to work well for any video resolutions other than the standard home electronics resolutions. In other words, the best you'll get is1920x1080 with current model equipment. Other desktop resolutions are not handled properly.

Personally, I use a Windows laptop with a native FHD (1920x1080) display and Nvidia graphics through a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter to a Marantz NR1501 receiver to a Vizio 1920x1080 HD TV. I've also used the laptop briefly through a Marantz AV8003 pre/pro driving a Mitsubishi 3800U projector. Both configurations work fine for video. Audio has a minor problem, dropping the first half-second or so when a sound track starts. (There's a software utility which works around this problem by making the computer always generate a silent output when there's no other audio source.)

In general, on the audio side you should plan to spend about twice as much on speakers as on the audio electronics. The speakers (and room acoustics) are the primary determinant of the quality of what you hear. If at all possible, you should audition speakers at a local A/V store, playing music that you're familiar with.

Be sure to get a receiver which includes room equalization software. That usually will make a significant improvement in sound, but cannot really compensate for a poor speaker system.

Selden
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Sony , Nvidia , Samsung Un55eh6000 Led Hdtv , Harmony 1100 Remcontrol
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page