Need Opinions on New home - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-17-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Long time follower and love the work that everyone has done. It has inspired me greatly. I will give you a little background and then ask my questions. Thanks in advance

Background

I currently am living with my inlaws until we move in to our newly used house in late september. I am already starting my planning! The house has a finished basement. The basement is more of an open floor plan. I do not have pictures at this time and do not know dimensions yet. It has walk out doors and a couple windows in the room I am looking to add a projection screen or TV. I will be able to control with shading and that is it. There is a bar in the back that is built in as well. I do know that there is 9 foot ceilings as well.

What I want:

I want this room to be a great place to watch movies, TV, Football games and play video games. If people are standing at the bar or sitting at the couch we are putting in that would be great. I basically want a multipurpose room with a large screen to view with the best possible picture I can get. i will be setting up 5.1 audio as I already have the equipment for that from my old house.

Questions

I hope that I gave enough information on all of this. At first I was thinking a 65" GT50 as it has a great picture and should be plenty big for the viewing area. After doing a lot of reading on this forum and looking at builds of members I started to think about a projection screen. I was thinking around 100" or so 2.35 screen. I work for a company that can get panasonic projectors for pretty good price. I know a projector will fit but my concern is lighting. If the room does have some light in it will it make a projection screen not work the money? Hoe much light is to much light? I guess I am looking to see what I all need to determine in order to make sure it will be worth the time and money to install this?

Thanks again in advance and I appreciate any feed back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-18-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Totallydoable. This was my concern on my current build as well, considering that my last two theaters were both in areas with no light at all. If you get a chance,take a look at my current build thread and you can compare the basement layout to yours.

How far back are you looking to mount your projector. It really all comes down to the amount of light the projector can put on the screen. I'm projecting a 136" 2.35 image from my Panasonic ae-3000 have have no issue at about 17 feet. Currently I have curtains on my sliding doors, but nothing on the windows. At the height of the day, the image is washed out slightly,but still manageable. I plan to add some room darkening shades shortly, but any type of shading you add should solve the problem. Anything you can do to darken the walls will certainly help too.

Hope this helps.

Jason
post #3 of 4 Old 08-20-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I already have a design tool downloaded. Once I get in to the house I will work on that. I will also share pictures once I am in the house to get more opinions. I'm just trying to plan ahead as I want to be able to watch football on whatever route I choose once I get in the house.

I am starting my research on 16:9 vs 2.35:1 now. I will watch a decent amount of movies on this but I will also use it a lot for watching tv, playing xbox and whatever I would normally do on a bg screen tv. Any opinions on this? Looking in to masking systems but them seem expensive. Thanks for all the feedback so far
post #4 of 4 Old 08-21-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
With a dark room , I don't think you'll need to worry about masking. I still have a 100 inch screen in16x9 format, so to me, the trade off is worth it.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page