Hmm...no studs. How do I hang my TV. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

finally got my new panny plasma for the living room so the 42" placeholder (TC-P42S2) is going in to the bedroom. But...as i started looking for studs at the only place in the bedroom that faces the bed I found no studs eek.gif . I am not entirely sure since its plaster (house is early 1900) and the studfinder does not do any good. The wall seems to be an extension since it holds closets, so I guess it would make sense that there are no studs. The wall is ~64" wide, and there is solid wood in the ends.

So, what are my options if I am adamant about hanging the TV (and still have the wall look good). The only thing that comes to mind is to sink two 2x4s into the wall, repaint, and fit a regular mount onto that.?? Safe/easy (I have never worked with an old house like this) ??

Any other suggestions? Are there any commercial mounts that would already have this type of flexibility??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 04:08 PM

Liked: 32
Plaster and Lathe, you are not going to find studs with a stud finder, because of the make up of the wall. If the person that built the home knew what they were doing, there should be studs every 16", unless they guessed the framing, and they could be anywhere from 16 to 24 inches if not load bearing. Keep in mind also that you are going to be dealing with Old Growth lumber that will be truly 2x4 if you measured with a tape.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah...so I realized that after some serious frustration. But I went through it with a finishing nail the entire distance off that 5 foot section and there are no studs.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 185
post #5 of 6 Old 08-20-2012, 07:21 AM

I had the same problem in my house. I actually ended up cutting a line in the plaster with a sheetrock saw. That way I could peak in and find the studs. I made sure the line I cut was going to fall behind the wall mount. If you can find the seam between the lathes, use a long nail to find the studs.

My stud finder would mistake the plaster chunks for the studs at times.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 PM

Use a metal finder like the Zircon i520 to look for the nails in the lathes and you can find studs just fine, it just takes patience. I have a plaster and lathe house too. Find a place in the house where you can peek at the construction from the interior side to get a better idea of what you are dealing with.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page