Alternative seating options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey all.

I'm working on setting up a relatively simple media room/theater setup in my house. It's not a dedicated room (shared with my wife's desk area, for one thing), and I'm not really going for the full "movie theater" look. I'm just trying for the best combination of a/v quality, usability and comfort I can get within my space and budget.

I have most of my plan worked out (still dithering a bit on what TV to go with), but the thing I'm struggling most with is what to do about seating. It's just my wife and I at the house, and probably upwards of 95% of the time, it'll be just us in that room, so we don't need a ton of seating, but we do want some flexibility for company (we also have a TV in our family room which can be used when we have people over). I've been thinking about traditional theater seats like most people here seem to put in their rooms -- something by Palliser, Lane, etc. I was planning to just do two of them, since it's just us. Four would be a bit wide for our room anyway, and three seems kind of silly (if we have people over, it's usually more than one person). So I planned to get some beanbags and maybe a couple of other smaller, simpler chairs for company.

But I was just reading through Zamboniman's thread, and something he said struck a chord with me:
Quote:
This "home" theater will not use the overwhelmingly popular "theater recliners". One of my biggest complaint of the last room was I couldn't lay down to watch a movie. Sometimes you're just tired and want to be lazy.. Or on football day etc.. Being forced to sit upright or recline wasn't going to happen the next go round was always running through my head.

So this has me thinking about alternatives. I'm curious what those of you who aren't using the theater recliners went with. I think we definitely want something that reclines, and ideally with a built-in footrest. I've seen some loveseats like that, but I'm not sure how well they work out in real life. We could also go with a pair of non-theater recliners, which gives us a lot more options aesthetically, but doesn't really solve the "laying down" problem.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, and maybe even see some pictures, of what you've done for your seating.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page