Need help planning my basement - projector / screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-28-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello- This is my first post on this great forum. Thanks in advance for the help.

I am in the planning stage of finishing my basement and would love some advice as I have never owned a projector or screen before. I will have a long open area so projector distance from screen is not a problem. I was thinking a 110" screen would be the right size. The entire open area is roughly 19' x 55'. Basement is a 9ft pour. There are 3 small windows that I will have blinds / curtains on. I plan on using can lights in 3 zones with dimmers on all. This way I can have the back bar area lit while the movie area is dim if needed. I'm looking into a custom bookcase area to house the screen and my speakers. I figured I would recess the screen a few inches. Designated AV closet in the next room.

So basically does anyone have any comments / concerns about my proposed layout? Also I plan on going 7.1 and was wondering where I would mount the rear speakers with no rear wall like you normally see.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-29-2012, 08:21 PM

Maybe do surrounds on the walls and rear surrounds in the ceiling?

Don't like the couch. With all that room I'd do 2 rows of seating and with 9' you could do a riser for the second row.

19' wide, why only a 110" screen. You could go bigger with that size room. I'm doing a 110" in a 12' wide room. Many guys here have stated that they wish they went bigger.

Nice room you got there.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-29-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Hockeypuck25. Could I do the rear surrounds like 4 - 6 foot behind the main surrounds on the wall? Or is that pointless?

The couch is just a model I threw in there. I'm not really wanting to do raised seating as this will be more of an open "fun" area than a dedicated HT. Also, budget concerns. Now i'm thinking about going up in screen size. With a decent PJ($2500 range), would going up in size be a concern? Thanks
post #4 of 11 Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftoverCrack View Post

Thanks for the input Hockeypuck25. Could I do the rear surrounds like 4 - 6 foot behind the main surrounds on the wall? Or is that pointless?

Not really sure. NEver tried it so hopefully someone else can chime in on that.
Quote:

The couch is just a model I threw in there. I'm not really wanting to do raised seating as this will be more of an open "fun" area than a dedicated HT. Also, budget concerns. Now i'm thinking about going up in screen size. With a decent PJ($2500 range), would going up in size be a concern? Thanks

$2500 will buy you a great projector and size shouldnt matter. You can move the projector a little further back and get a bigger picture. If you can, purchase the projector and just try it out. Many have done it very early on in construction. I borrowed one from work just to see what it would be like. That way you can play around with the screen size before building your screen and shelving.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent advice Hockeypuck. Thanks. I visited a local HT store and was told that larger than 110" was too much for a Epson 5010 or Sony HW30AES. I think the guys at the store are looking for "perfect" quality.... It seems like a lot of folks use these projectors with 120" plus screens.

One other factor in screen size is that I stated my pour size incorrectly - My basement is 7'-10". It seems as if I go to 120" the screen is only 1 foot from the ceiling and 2 foot from the floor. Is that acceptable?

Thanks
post #6 of 11 Old 09-06-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Burying your front speakers as such, is a design mistake. Sound pans won't be seamless and the speakers will have many near boundary issues.

Dipole side surrounds will help in a narrow room.

A DIY acoustically transparent screen might be a design option, to give a clean look. A great example of this, is Pocoloco's build.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1036161/the-pocoloco-theater
post #7 of 11 Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Burying your front speakers as such, is a design mistake. Sound pans won't be seamless and the speakers will have many near boundary issues.
Dipole side surrounds will help in a narrow room.

A DIY acoustically transparent screen might be a design option, to give a clean look. A great example of this, is Pocoloco's build.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1036161/the-pocoloco-theater

Agreed with Ted. I would do an AT screen with speakers behind the screen like mine. You can still have the custom shelving in the front:

2011_0414AA.jpg

2011_0509AJ.jpg
post #8 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

OK thanks for all the advice guys. I have done some re-designing and came up with an option that is hopefully better acoustically and will allow me to upgrade speakers / screen easier. Unfortunately I am on a budget and can't buy all new speakers to do an acoustically transparent screen. So here is my new plan using Ikea cabinets and building the shelves to fit. Any thoughts? Thanks

post #9 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 01:42 PM

Liked: 14
maybe look at the manuals for the projectors you are thinking about they will have info on the projectors abilities re distances etc. my epson manual has several pages of info on this.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

OK thanks for all the advice guys. I have done some re-designing and came up with an option that is hopefully better acoustically and will allow me to upgrade speakers / screen easier. Unfortunately I am on a budget and can't buy all new speakers to do an acoustically transparent screen. So here is my new plan using Ikea cabinets and building the shelves to fit. Any thoughts? Thanks

Couple things. What speakers do you plan on using? As Ted mentioned, having speakers close to boundary walls can and will affect sound, and a sealed or front ported speaker will be better for this application than a rear ported speaker. Most speakers sound best when pulled 24" or more away from a wall.

As for the subs, I would be reluctant to put them in the cabinets as you have them again it could affect sound quality and you could get some muddy bass.

You might want to try and locate the subs on the side walls, or back wall if you are stuck with the design.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-18-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Hello- This is my first post on this great forum. Thanks in advance for the help.

I am in the planning stage of finishing my basement and would love some advice as I have never owned a projector or screen before. I will have a long open area so projector distance from screen is not a problem. I was thinking a 110" screen would be the right size. The entire open area is roughly 19' x 55'. Basement is a 9ft pour. There are 3 small windows that I will have blinds / curtains on. I plan on using can lights in 3 zones with dimmers on all. This way I can have the back bar area lit while the movie area is dim if needed. I'm looking into a custom bookcase area to house the screen and my speakers. I figured I would recess the screen a few inches. Designated AV closet in the next room.

So basically does anyone have any comments / concerns about my proposed layout? Also I plan on going 7.1 and was wondering where I would mount the rear speakers with no rear wall like you normally see.

Thanks

What software did you use to design this layout?

Thanks
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page