Night Sky Murals new stand-alone office build.... inspired by all your builds. Thanks! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 08-29-2012, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
(I asked for help a while back in building a home office in my back yard where I could incorporate some of the techniques that you guys are using in your builds. This is the only place I could think of to post it. I hope it's OK to post it here!)

Here is the build of my little backyard office that I was inspired to build after reading about all of the theater rooms being built here on this site. I needed my office to have many of the same qualities that a theater room needs (quiet, quiet, quiet, with very few distractions).

Then, after painting in mostly home theaters these days, I kept being more tempted with each mural I painted, until I finally decided to just do it. So, while this is not a home theater build, it was inspired by so many of your builds... so I hope that this will be OK to post here.

I need to thank BigmouthinDC, Dennis Erskine, Ted White, jautor, Jon_B and Xzener for going out of their way to offer suggestions for my build. I could not be happier with the way it turned out.

Now, while this is in no way even close to what you guys do in your theaters... it is exactly what I needed for a place to work. Here are some pictures of the build from start to finish...

Beginning of project:
1-Excavating.jpg

Putting up forms:
2.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

Digging trench for electrical:
3-Gettingreadyforpour.jpg

Getting everyone involved in mixing and pouring concrete:
IMG_0273.jpg

Letting it set:
5-8inchwalls.jpg

Up go the staggered-stud walls:
7-Staggardstuds.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

The outside OSB sheathing goes up:
IMG_1784.jpg

Insulation on the outside part of the staggered-studs goes up:
IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

We decided to stagger the ceiling studs also with a layer of OSB on top:
6.jpg

Second layer of insulation in walls and ceiling go in, and an interior wall goes in to divide my office from a painting room:
9-insulation2.jpg

Wiring goes in with extra outlets installed (I hate having to look for a place to plug things in) and then the first layer of the wall (OSB) goes up inside:
14-PresheetrockOSB.jpg

Time to put on the roof:
IMG_1803.jpg

Wrapped the outside with Tyvek and then had the contractor add an overhang to the front:
IMG_1989.jpg

...which of course is stuffed with more insulation:
IMG_1805.jpg

Back inside, the second interior layer (sheetrock this time) is up and the soffit is started:
15-Soffit1.jpg

17-Soffit3.jpg

Lights and a bullnose edge are added to the soffit... then mud:
19-Soffit5.jpg

Soffit7.jpg

Door into my painting room also gets a bullnose edge:
IMG_1964.jpg

Finally the primer and paint go on walls (It looks a lot bluer in this pic. than it really is):
IMG_2057.jpg

Crown moulding and paint go on the ceiling:
IMG_2063.jpg

Cloud ceiling is added to the painting room (I like the clouds in this room much better than in the office area... but, oh well. It's my first shot at it):
IMG_2061.jpg

Clouds are added to the office area:
IMG_2072.jpg
Testing a strand of $4 rope lights I stumbled on at a thrift store;
IMG_2084.jpg

Then, the last thing to go on the inside is the night sky. If you look closely, you can see the illusion of beams that I created around the outside edge (where the ceiling and side wall meet, and also in each corner, and in the center of each wall)
Officeceilingwithnightsky.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-29-2012, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Very cool! First time I've seen a detailed build thread about keeping the sound out.

I envy your zoning regulations. smile.gif

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #3 of 21 Old 08-29-2012, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks great, I like the clouds in the painting room. I can't wait to finish up my theater so I can have you out here to the st. Louis area to paint my ceiling. Keep up the good work.

Craig,
post #4 of 21 Old 08-29-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Great job! But I don't know how you'll work in there... Some soft music and a comfy chair - looks like a nap room to me! :-)

Hope you'll be doing a ceiling for Spaceman - I certainly want to see one of these in person!

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 21 Old 08-29-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Looks great, Jeff---a mighty nice work environment! smile.gif

Although, like Jautor said, you may get too relaxed to work in there. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Tom

The world is more than we know...more than we imagine...more even than we can imagine.
post #6 of 21 Old 08-29-2012, 04:26 PM

Beautiful clouds.
post #7 of 21 Old 08-29-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Hi Tim... Thanks! Well, I focused on the soundproofing because that is what is the most important thing to me. Working from home has it's good benefits (my commute is about 20 steps out the back door), but it also has it's drawbacks (the distance my family and friends have to go to find me "is about 20 steps out the back door") :-) Also, I would always get frustrated with everyone in the house because I couldn't focus because of all of the "normal" noise that goes on in a home. But, it wasn't fair for me to make everyone live in silence just because I was trying to work. So.... this is a perfect solution. And, I was so excited about the soundproofing that I focused mainly on that. Hopefully it will help others (even though I only used some of the techniques).

The techniques talked about in this forum would be great in many applications... especially in a stand alone office and/or relaxation room.

Zoning laws???? :-)

Thanks for commenting!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Very cool! First time I've seen a detailed build thread about keeping the sound out.
I envy your zoning regulations. smile.gif
Tim

post #8 of 21 Old 08-29-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Craig...

Thanks for liking the clouds in the painting room. Those are the ones that I like too. Since this was my first attempt at doing anything artistic, other than the night sky, I just had to take what I got. I did the painting room one day and the office part the next... and by the next day, I'd forgotten how I'd done the clouds in the other room. So, I went for a different look. Maybe some day I'll redo the office area, but my imagination is good enough that I can kind of see clouds up there, if I have the lights just right. :-)

I love St. Louis. In fact, I may be out there close in the near future. I was just in Kansas City and also Springfield within the past 6 months. I loved every minute of it. If you do call.... please don't do it during Tornado Season. They make me nervous.

Thanks!

Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWicked View Post

Looks great, I like the clouds in the painting room. I can't wait to finish up my theater so I can have you out here to the st. Louis area to paint my ceiling. Keep up the good work.
Craig,

post #9 of 21 Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Jautor...

You mean like this?
IMG_2099.jpg

I try and keep the lights up while working.... but I would be lying if I said that I haven't turned out the lights, looked into the night sky and fallen asleep. But, a cat-nap is great during a work day, so that's part of what I wanted here too.

My kids are begging to sleep in here one night. I've been working into the early morning these past few weeks... but I think I may do that tonight.

Now, I need a nap...

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Great job! But I don't know how you'll work in there... Some soft music and a comfy chair - looks like a nap room to me! :-)
Hope you'll be doing a ceiling for Spaceman - I certainly want to see one of these in person!
Jeff

post #10 of 21 Old 08-29-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz... Oh! Hi Tom!

I love this little room for working in. Next will be to build a theater like you have to watch movies. But, that'll have to be down the road. My dad is in the room that will work for that.

Good to hear from you!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hilton View Post

Looks great, Jeff---a mighty nice work environment! smile.gif
Although, like Jautor said, you may get too relaxed to work in there. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

post #11 of 21 Old 08-29-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks GRBoomer.... You mean in the smaller room, right? The clouds in the larger room, with the soffit in it, are not what I was hoping for, but I'm OK with them for now.

Thanks for your nice comments!

Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRBoomer View Post

Beautiful clouds.

post #12 of 21 Old 08-30-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hey Jeff,

Im glad you finally created a build thread. Your office is looking very nice so far. I especially like the clouds in the painting room... they look amazing. I have the same feeling about the office clouds... mine didnt quite turn out the way I had hoped either. But everyone seems to like them, and I have accepted them. My vision was what you came up with in the painting room... Oh well, I like the night sky mural better, cant see the clouds when the stars are out. wink.gif Cant wait to see your office in the finished state, it doesnt look too far off. Congrats on the build... If I didnt know any better, Id say you were using one of my soffit construction pictures.

Xzener

Gamertag:
post #13 of 21 Old 08-30-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

I'm afraid that because I can now use the office, even though it isn't quite finished yet, I may not move as fast as I was before I was able to get in. I think that it might have been a mistake.

And, as for the soffit... I patterned it after you. There are a few minor changes that my contractor cut corners on.... but for the most part, it is basically your soffit. Something else I stole from you besides the clouds. :-)

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post

Hey Jeff,
Im glad you finally created a build thread. Your office is looking very nice so far. I especially like the clouds in the painting room... they look amazing. I have the same feeling about the office clouds... mine didnt quite turn out the way I had hoped either. But everyone seems to like them, and I have accepted them. My vision was what you came up with in the painting room... Oh well, I like the night sky mural better, cant see the clouds when the stars are out. wink.gif Cant wait to see your office in the finished state, it doesnt look too far off. Congrats on the build... If I didnt know any better, Id say you were using one of my soffit construction pictures.
Xzener

post #14 of 21 Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 AM

Liked: 16
Hello there! Your design for your sofit is what inspired me to do mine. I'm just starting to get my materials and I was wondering if those were 2x2's or 2x3's you used. I'm also trying to figure out how you attached the crown molding and what kind of support backing you used? Any information would be wonderful! Thanks for your time!
Paul
post #15 of 21 Old 01-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Jeff,

I love the office. I work from home as well, so I completely understand what you're talking about. i'm currently having a 12' x 24' shed built on my property that I plan on splitting in half eventually and having a 1/2 bath and an office put in..I wish I had thought about the staggered studs, but I can still mimic it later when I finish the inside (for now it will remain unfinished).

I do have a question about your ceilings though. I'm about to paint a 4y/o's bedroom and I want to do the ceiling like yours. can you give me any tips or links to threads about it? I think he's love it (espeically the glow in the dark stars). We have some of the plastic ones as well, but at this point I think I would rather do what you did instead of sticking up plastic stars and planets.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Excellent work. Nicely done. I occasionally work from home as well, and I know all too well about "family interruptions". Simply saying to the wife and kids "Dad's just LOOKS like he is home, he really is not here, he is still AT WORK and what you are seeing is just a figment of your imagination." only works for so long. tongue.gif

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-09-2013, 03:12 PM

Liked: 14
Awesome work. Just wondering what your soffit dimensions were? Specifically the ratio of height/width to overhang. Looks great and while I was thinking of going coffered for the living room I think the indirect rope lighting looks fantastic. I'd like to see how both options would look in my great room in the basement. Thanks for your time.

post #18 of 21 Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Cloud murals...awesome! Wow...Great job! Can you come over to my house?

post #19 of 21 Old 01-10-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How did you do the night sky?
post #20 of 21 Old 01-10-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Do y'all not realize that Jeff creates those murals for a living??? rolleyes.gif

I mean, his username should really give it away!

Jeff (not talking about myself in the third person)

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #21 of 21 Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Do y'all not realize that Jeff creates those murals for a living??? rolleyes.gif

I mean, his username should really give it away!

Jeff (not talking about myself in the third person)

I was wondering the same thing. Too funny. I hope he is good at it since he is making a living doing it. HAHAHAHA!!! Good times!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page