Jedirun's Theater - Finally Moving Out of the Garage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 146 Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have been a member for several years now and have been slowly improving my Ugly Garage Theater while we rented during my residency.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1135118/my-budget-ugly-garage-theater

Well I am a year out of residency and after a year of looking including pulling out of one purchase, we are finally buying a house with an extra bedroom that I get to turn into a theater.

To start with, I will be using all of the electronics and the screen in my current theater with the exception of my Mitsubishi HC3000 projector, which is getting sold. I am moving up to the HC9000D both to finally move to 1080P and so I do not have to run cables to the ceiling and put holes in the ceiling. The new projector will be placed on a stand in the back of the room.

I will put the JTR Triple 8's and my DIY Sub in the converted closet in the picture with my AT screen hanging over the top and white speaker grill cloth below so it is completely enclosed. Most of my current acoustic treatments will be behind the screen lining the walls.

All of my electronics will be in the closet to the left of the screen.

The cabling for the surround speakers and the projector will run to the back of the room through a storage space that is accessible behind a secret door in the book shelves on the left side of the room.

So if everything goes well there will be very little visible cabling and very little building involved.

Once the electronics are installed, my wife and I will figure out what kind of home theater seating we want for the room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Reserved for layout plans.
post #3 of 146 Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #4 of 146 Old 09-08-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got the keys to our new home last night and took some more pictures.

repagu3u.jpg

Area that will house my LCR and sub. My wife is "forcing" me to sell my DIY sub so I am ordering a JTR Captivator S2 tomorrow. smile.gif

suba5y2a.jpg

Entrance to closet that will house the electronics and the bookshelves on the left side of the room showing the secret entrance to the storage area where I will run the wires for the back and side surrounds and the projector.

post #5 of 146 Old 09-08-2012, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

azy9avyj.jpg

Inside the closet that will house the electronics.

udegasub.jpg

Back of room. The plan is to cover the back wall including the window with acoustic panels.

2e8e8aje.jpg

Screen in front of the closet. I need to make a border to cover the aluminum frame so it will blend into the wall better. I am going to do a white border rather than a black one, even though I know black is better for the picture for better WAF. I am going to have pretty good light control, so I hope it does not matter.

post #6 of 146 Old 09-08-2012, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

a6u5atuj.jpg

Back left of the room. I am thinking about putting the stands for the rear surrounds on the tiny triangles in the back corners of the room.

pygetave.jpg

shelf at the back of the room with power outlets. If I can get my speaker cables into this, hopefully it will be easy to pull them through without doing much damage and eliminate long runs of visible cable.
post #7 of 146 Old 09-08-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are pictures of my proposed placement of my 9 existing acoustic panels.

ytu9ajyj.jpg

Front of the room with proposed placement of acoustic panels, the outer two have 6 inches of fiberglass and the middle one is 4" thick. I think I may remove the existing shelves so the panels will fit in a single line and so I can get the speakers as wide as possible, since I am giving up at least a foot and a half of separation between left and right compared to my prior setup.

evuvavag.jpg

Right wall. Two 2" thick panels with a 2 inch air gap behind them. These will be wrapped in white fabric for better appearance. The boxes in front are my 2010 JTR Triple 8's. After carrying them down the stairs, I am happy that I didn't buy Triple 12's a couple of year ago. However, I am worried about trying to get the 190 lb Captivator S2 down the stairs without hurting it or the wood of the stairs.

sebyry8a.jpg

Four acoustic panels with 4" of fiberglass with a 2 inch air gap. These will cover the window. The middle two are homemade and will be covered in white fabric for better appearance.

Do you guys have any suggestions for placement of my panels? Is this a reasonable use of what I have? All of the panels will, of course, be hung higher on the wall, placement on the floor is just for planning purposes.

Acoustically, what is the best thing to fill the built in bookshelves on the left of the room with? Are books any good at absorbing or diffusing?
post #8 of 146 Old 09-13-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am going a little different direction. We have a contractor doing some work on our house and I am going to have him tear down the wall between the equipment closet and the speaker closet and build the screen into the wall. I will be able to get to the speakers through the door on the left.

This will solve several problems. One I can have my speakers as wide as the screen, 2 the screen will be built in so it will look nice for my wife,3 this will center the screen in front of our seating area, and 4 this will center the surround speakers with the screen.

I am also going to have the contractor help me run the cables to my surround speakers and projector as well as finish the speaker stands I am going to build for my surrounds so they look built into the room.
post #9 of 146 Old 09-13-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just ordered my Captivator S2. smile.gif
post #10 of 146 Old 09-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Congratulations on the new house and on getting a very nice dedicated space for the HT. I like the new plan with the built in screen and LCR's behind. Should give the room a very clean look.

You should check out Carps HT thread. I like his multipurpose HT room quite a bit and he employs light colors for all but the screen wall. My room started as a multipurpose room and gradually became darker as I found that I was using it almost exclusively for movies with an occasional music concert or cd listening session. Lighter colored rooms are not ideal as far as the optimal projected image goes, but the trade off as far as aesthitics and livability are significant.

I will keep an eye on this thread and will enjoy reading about and seeing pictures of your progress. Again, congrats to you and the wife. cool.gif

Best,
Rob

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #11 of 146 Old 09-14-2012, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Rob,

Thank you. I took a look at Carp's HT. It is a good use of space and those are some serious speakers. I like looking at systems like his and your's where attention is given to real sound and picture quality.

My wife and I are very excited about the house and media room.

For me, this is the culmination of the past 7 years of lurking on this site and building my system. I was inspired by many rooms, but your's has always been the one that I have aspired to emulate on a smaller scale. Your pictures are also what helped me to convince my wife that a theater is a good use of our space and does not have to be an eyesore.

This will also be a playroom for the kids. there is a large attached closet that will house their toys, and if I execute the plan well, this will be the area that the family spends most of our time.

Ahmik
post #12 of 146 Old 09-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

Rob,
Thank you. I took a look at Carp's HT. It is a good use of space and those are some serious speakers. I like looking at systems like his and your's where attention is given to real sound and picture quality.
My wife and I are very excited about the house and media room.
For me, this is the culmination of the past 7 years of lurking on this site and building my system. I was inspired by many rooms, but your's has always been the one that I have aspired to emulate on a smaller scale. Your pictures are also what helped me to convince my wife that a theater is a good use of our space and does not have to be an eyesore.
This will also be a playroom for the kids. there is a large attached closet that will house their toys, and if I execute the plan well, this will be the area that the family spends most of our time.
Ahmik
:TOH: Dr. Jones

Sounds like a great plan to me Ahmik, I like your idea of making the space family friendly and comfortable.
Looking forward to more pics as you progress. cool.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #13 of 146 Old 09-24-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My 4 year old daughter walked into the new media room, and saw the screen against the wall and said. "Oh, is this the new garage?" She had no idea that people usually use garages for things besides theaters.

It is a 50 year old house with a ton of recent upgrades, but many of the outlets are not grounded. Luckily, right in the center of the closet that will house the LCR, Sub and Electronics there is a properly grounded receptacle with new wiring. I replaced it with a hospital grade receptacle yesterday.

Demolition and construction are going on right now in the theater. My wife is sending me updates at work with questions. She actually sounds excited about the room and says that it will look good. She said the screen is already hung in the space. The contractor is going to build a speaker grill wide enough for the Captivator S2 in the center of the wall below the bottom of the screen.

I will post pictures tonight when I get home to take them. Then I have to stay up late to put the stands for the projector and together.
post #14 of 146 Old 09-24-2012, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Pictures:

nunytypy.jpg

Screen installed in the wall.

2ugazeha.jpg

Area behind the screen for LCR and Sub.

sa6yzege.jpg

Cement bench that will hold my rack.

e5ety8eh.jpg

View from door to electronics area showing area behind screen.

2u2e7uge.jpg

View of screen with door to electronics area to the left of the screen.
post #15 of 146 Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It looks even better than I hoped. It is really coming together.
post #16 of 146 Old 09-25-2012, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

aduza2e5.jpg

The world's ugliest frames for speaker stands and a projector stand, ready to be drywalled by someone who actually knows what they are doing. Made from wood that I had lying around and my old speaker stands. All three will need some leveling in the morning.
post #17 of 146 Old 09-26-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

a2eta7an.jpg

Screen wall drywalled, ready to be textured and painted.

hume9ehe.jpg

Back of screen border. It hangs on hooks so it can be removed in case an o-ring breaks or something else needs to be repaired on the screen frame.

The border will be painted white rather than being wrapped in black velvet based on my wife's request to keep the room attractive when the lights are on. I hope that good light control in the room will somewhat make up for this as well as the bright walls and ceiling.
post #18 of 146 Old 09-26-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

u8edeqyn.jpg

Speaker and projector stands drywalled and mudded.

a2a5e9am.jpg

Finished screen wall.

ge3ejate.jpg

Area behind screen ready for the JTR's.

I still have to run some wires, wait for the S2 and purchase a projector, which will take a while, but hiring the contractor to do this was definitely a good decision. It looks so much better than I would have made it and saved me a ton of time that I can spend setting things up and calibrating. With it looking the way it does, my wife will be proud to decorate it and have people over to watch movies.
post #19 of 146 Old 09-27-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

by5aha4e.jpg

Surround speaker and projector stands painted, awaiting baseboards
post #20 of 146 Old 09-27-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ype4y6a6.jpg

Finished projector stand.
post #21 of 146 Old 09-28-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #22 of 146 Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The previous owner must of put in about $1000 of dimmer switches in the house, their is even a remote control dimmer switch in one of the closets.

However, for some reason, this was the only room in the house without dimmable lights, so I replaced the cfl's with incandescent bulbs and installed a remote control dimmer switch.

5umazu9e.jpg
post #23 of 146 Old 10-15-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Some belated updates. We had a circuit blow a week ago while running two kitchen appliances at the same time that also took out power in the theater. It looks like we need to replace several 30 year old breakers, on the plus side, our contractor/electrician is going to install 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits into the theater while making the necessary upgrades. smile.gif

My S2 shipped today. biggrin.gif I am going to take Thursday through Tuesday off to work on the theater and the rest of the house.

I am going to get white JTR slanted 8's for rear and side surrounds, so the pedestals I had built may be used for displaying vases or something instead of speaker stands. I will probably use my old side surrounds for my computer speakers and upgrade my 4 year old daughter's system from mono to stereo with my rear surrounds.

The new surround speakers will be less noticeable in the room and should blend better sonically with the LCR.
post #24 of 146 Old 10-23-2012, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It have put a lot of time in the theater in the last several days. I got a lot done, but I am not quite where I want to be and I go back to work tomorrow.

5y5utaje.jpg

Area behind the screen with the first GIK 244 panels ready to be hung. The woo framed panel at the end is a home made 6 inch panel.

re6erevy.jpg

Screen off of the wall showing the supports.

epegy2a5.jpg

Back of the screen with the black speaker cloth in place, to avoid reflections off of the metal grills on these pro version T8's.

9y7e7u8a.jpg

First 3 panels hung in place.
post #25 of 146 Old 10-24-2012, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

py6a3aqa.jpg

JTR Captivator S2 in place. You would not believe the challenge of getting this 190 pound monster down the stairs on an appliance dolly and into position behind the screen. I even had to take the closet door off of its hinges to get it through.

jajepesy.jpg

First supports for the LCR in place.

ajyvybab.jpg

LCR in position. Not seen in this picture is the plywood on top of the supports.

9y7e9aqy.jpg

The wood tops that are seen resting on the ground behind the S2 are homemade 4" acoustic panels, 2" panels are resting on top of the T8's so with the 6" panel at eacj end, the LCR's and sub are nearly completely surrounded by panels behind the screen.

post #26 of 146 Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

segupabe.jpg

Source side for the surround speaker cables and HDMI cable as well as the 3 separate dedicated 20 amp circuits for the theater.

I figure I will use one for my amps, one for the S2 and 1 for the sources and processor.

e3anady7.jpg

Same wall with cover plates installed.

post #27 of 146 Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

a7ypyteq.jpg

HDMI cable at the back of the room.

abavubeh.jpgydasabes.jpg

Surround speaker cables ran in the wall.

yzaqezu2.jpg

Terminated.

post #28 of 146 Old 10-24-2012, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

eteqabuz.jpg

Amps and processor on the rack. I have anchored the rack to the cement wall, for earthquake safety and to avoid rattling from the S2.
post #29 of 146 Old 10-24-2012, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I managed to lose my Audyssey mic and i1 Display LT in the move, by putting them somewhere to keep them safe. However, it may turn out that this is a good thing. Because of this I read that, the colorimeters tend to go out of calibration after a couple of years, so I may need a new one. Now the question is, is it cheaper to just hire a professional calibrator or buy a new colorimeter to do it myself?

Getting a new Audyssey remote was pretty cheap.
post #30 of 146 Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I did some clean up in the room and took some pictures.

eryna6y9.jpg

Better shot of the front wall.

yzubyhed.jpg

Possible use of the speaker stands after I buy the Slanted 8's.

ejuhu8a9.jpg

ypeqa4yg.jpg

Back of the room.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms