LCD Mounting Dilemma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-03-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Sanus wall mount and had no issues getting the first three screws into the studs. This mount uses hex screws. Screw #4 was about a half inch from pay dirt when the screw got stripped. I was able to back the screw out and try a lag screw in its place. Either I have horrible luck or there's a knot in the stud. The lag screw broke in half, leaving the remainder of the screw inside the stud. I'm going to try extracting the screw but don't know if I'll be successful. With that in mind, I'm trying to come up with other solutions to shore this thing up just in case.

Because the mount is secure with three out of four screws in place, I don't want to back these things out so I can try a toggle solution from the front. I'm concerned about stripping the other hex screws and causing more problems. Most reasonable solutions won't work because the mount is already attached to the wall. I am also limited by the size of the cut outs on the mount, restricting what I can put into the wall from the front. I do have some limited access to the back of the wall. What would be a recommended way to use some sort of toggle bolt or other solution to anchor this thing to the wall? My first thought was two toggle bolts on either side of the stud. I'm not sure if a conventional toggle bolt is adequate in this case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Some pics might help.

How much access do you have to the back of the drywall?

Lots of options; hard to determine what's best.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 8 Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 227
drill a .5" hole through the mount and the wall and use one of these: http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php (use a fender washer under the screw head).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-03-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Some pics might help.
How much access do you have to the back of the drywall?
Lots of options; hard to determine what's best.

I have wide open access to the side of the mount I need to work with. The other side is limited, but considering both screws are in place there I don't consider that a problem. I'm not sure if these pics do anything for you, but we're looking at the top right side of the mount.

photo 1.JPG 71k .JPG file photo 2.JPG 70k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (70.4 KB, 12 views)
post #5 of 8 Old 09-04-2012, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

You have access to the rear of the drywall, on the right side? If yes, then I'd use a couple carriage bolts, and large washers behind the drywall.

Pic of the back?

Edit - this is assuming you already have 3 strong screws in studs.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 8 Old 09-04-2012, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just drill another hole in the mount just above where you have the old hole.

My Gear
post #7 of 8 Old 09-04-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Do people usually drill a pilot hole with lags?

Structural screws have become really popular, recently; easier to work with. Not sure how they compare, physically, but I used them for some playset repairs recently, in the backyard.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Tools---Tips/DIY-Materials/Hardware/structural-screws-vs-lag-screws/View-All

post #8 of 8 Old 09-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

Just drill another hole in the mount just above where you have the old hole.

I have done the same thing. Snapped a bolt and just drilled out a hole about 1/2" under the other one.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Sanus

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page