TV Mount Problem - Sideways Studs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just moved into a new house with a finished basement - went out and bought a TV mount thinking it would be no problem to install as I've done a few of these before. Famous last words.

When I went looking for the studs, the studfinder is showing that they're 4" wide - my first thought was that the studfinder wasn't accurate, but it's a pretty nice black and decker with a brand new battery (one of the ones with a laser level too) - and the 4" wide reading is happening on all 3 walls that are built against the exterior (poured concrete foundation).

I cant tell exactly how they built the walls, but from the best I can tell it looks like they laid the studs sideways against the foundation, meaning I only have drywall + 1 and a half inches of stud to bolt the mount into before I hit concrete.

Has anyone come across this before? Not sure what my options are. I want to put a 60" in the room, but I haven't bought the TV yet, just wanted to get the mount up while I decide on a TV.

Football is starting way too soon though, so I need to get this figured out! Appreciate any help/thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
It's possible that the builder used studs like that.

I'd explore with a hole, behind the TV. You can get a small, cheap drywall access panel from HD/Lowes (many sizes) to cover your hole behind the TV, or maybe cut a double gang size hole and fill with a LV ring, covered with a plate.

You'll need to cut drywall eventually, to get power behind the TV, and run your LV cables.

If it was recent construction, you could call the builder, and find out if the studs are nailed to the wall, or top/bottom plates were used.

If you're amenable to painting the wall, you can cut out a TV-sized hole, attach your own wood to the wall securely ('blocking'), and then re-drywall. It's an expensive TV, put some time and effort into the project. Or, call a local insured AV installer, and put him on the hook if it falls. I'm not sure how much effort the builder used to secure the studs to the wall, but behind a big sheet of drywall, I doubt the stud could be pulled from the wall by the weight of the TV.

It's odd that you bought the mount before the TV.

Do 60" TVs come with pedestals? You might want to return the mount and consider that, if you want to put off the project until football season is over.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 8 Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to avoid damaging the wall at all, because I may just scrap the flat panel altogether and go with a projector/screen if I can't wall mount the TV.

As for buying the mount without the TV, I was all set to buy the TV and mount, but the store only had one TV left in stock and it was damaged, so I bought the mount since I had some time yesterday to install it and I'd go pick up the TV at another store this week.

I guess what I'm really wondering is if I'd be ok just mounting into the drywall + 1.5 inches of the sideways stud or if I'm asking for trouble there.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-04-2012, 10:41 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcarroll2 View Post

I
I cant tell exactly how they built the walls, but from the best I can tell it looks like they laid the studs sideways against the foundation, meaning I only have drywall + 1 and a half inches of stud to bolt the mount into before I hit concrete.

I've never seen 2x4s used that way but they might have used 1x4 furring strips. I've definitely seen basements finished that way.

In that case you'll only have 3/4" to work with. Personally I'd take Tapcons and go straight through the wood into the block.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I suggest you cut the double gang hole to determine the depth. It will be hidden by the TV, or the projector screen. Make sure you've ruled out a painted screen first. wink.gif

http://www.goosystemsglobal.com/

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 8 Old 09-04-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Are there power outlets or any low-volt boxes on any of these walls? Open one up and see either what's behind the wall, or at least see how deep of a box was used for electrical. If it's a short box, that'll tell you what's going on. You can probably get a glimpse of the lumber attached to the box, too...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #7 of 8 Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks,

Coincidentally - I had just done that right before coming back upstairs and reading this - couldn't get a look at the lumber, but i have confirmed that there's only 2" from front of sheetrock to concrete!

Also, looks like there is 20" of space between each sideways stud...this is frustrating!
post #8 of 8 Old 09-04-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Hiring a painter/drywaller is easy.

I would cut a big hole in the drywall and firring strips, the size of the mount, and use a couple of 1" pieces of plywood to fill the hole (HD/Lowes will cut to size). Use Tapcons to attach the wood to the concrete. Then pick up the phone and call the drywall/paint guy.

Then, hang the mount and TV.

Maybe you can get creative and only cut holes for a couple studs, instead of plywood.

Not sure, but I think Tapcons through plywood or wood studs into concrete would be OK.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Wall Mount , Displays , Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page