Soundproofing question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-07-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think I put this in the wrong section the first time......

So I'll be gutting the closet in my man room in preparation for the wet bar. I was instructed to decouple the wall by doing a staggered wall and GG and triple drywall.

The wet bar is adjacent to the second full bath and backed up to the master bath. This is where my question comes in. The shower of the master bath is what backs up to the future wet bar, there is no drywall there.

Is that a negative? Do I need to do anything with this or just go ahead as planned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybutts View Post

I think I put this in the wrong section the first time......
So I'll be gutting the closet in my man room in preparation for the wet bar. I was instructed to decouple the wall by doing a staggered wall and GG and triple drywall.
The wet bar is adjacent to the second full bath and backed up to the master bath. This is where my question comes in. The shower of the master bath is what backs up to the future wet bar, there is no drywall there.
Is that a negative? Do I need to do anything with this or just go ahead as planned?

Pershaps it is just me, or maybe because it is a Friday, but I am not really understanding what you are asking here.

Are you saying that this wetbar is in your theater room and you are concerned about sound coming from the shower and bleeding into the theater room?

Can you post a pic or two of what you are talking about, a picture is worth a 1000 words smile.gif
post #3 of 5 Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Bwhahahhaha. I'll try and get a pic.

But I'll try again to explain in words. I am concerned more about noise escaping the theater room and traveling into the master bath in to the master bedroom.

Here is a "cross section" of the wall that joins the two

Shower insert, 2x4, drywall

That's all there is on that wall. I was just curious if I should do something else there. Right now the plan is

Shower insert, 2x4, staggered 2x4, GGDWGGDWGGDW (insulation in the wall as well)

Hope that helps. cool.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 09-07-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
While it won't hurt to add extra drywall, green glue, and insulation to the wall with the shower, keep in mind that sound can travel through the ceiling and through ductwork as well. Treating one wall is not going to make a huge difference here, and I would probably just use insulation and standard drywall, or properly treat the entire room. This site is a wealth of knowledge, and if you have questions try PM'ing Ted White here at AVS, or giving the company a call:
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/
post #5 of 5 Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yes, I have already spoke to John and read pretty much the entire soundproofing site, but didn't know this was how it was built in until recently. That's why I was asking. The entire room will be getting the full soundproofing treatment.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page