What TV to purchase for 15 ft viewing distance? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-08-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been reading up on TV technology for a little while now and every time I think that I have determined the right TV I find something that makes me reconsider. I'm hoping that suggestions from this forum can help me finalize my decision.

A little background first, I have a walk out basement that I am looking to set up a home theatre/game room in. It has one glass sliding door providing natural light. It has a shutter on it that does a good job of blocking out the sun so the room can be relatively dark. The purpose of this TV is to watch movies, Sunday football and play video games on. I am also interested in 3D content, both in movie and video game formats.

I have been considering 3 completely different TV's in and around the $3,000 mark.

The first and front runner is the Panasonic plasma TCP65ST50. My biggest concern with this TV is the potential for image retention from watching Sunday football all day or from my young kids playing video games or possibly pausing the TV and then forgetting about it.

The second on the list is the Samsung UN60ES7100. My biggest concern with this TV is with the size. Would 60" be sufficient at a viewing distance of 15 ft?

The third consideration is the LG 65LM6200. I do like the passive 3D for viewing although I can differentiate that it is not as superior as active 3D in terms of resolution but at 15ft, should it be a concern. I also like the multi player capability with the passive 3D technology where, with special glasses each player can see the whole screen. My concern with this TV is with picture quality. Will it be sufficient to keep me happy for the next 5 years.

Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to watching Titanic in 3D on my new TV next weekend possibly. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Liked: 11
SMPTE says about 1.8 times screen and THX say about 1.6 times. so you'll need a 110" TV to get the full benefit of 1080 at 15 ft.

At 15ft from a 60" set you'll not be able to tell difference between 720 and 1080 source material, you'll see some benefits of 720 over 480p but not the full impact of 720p.

Viewing distance chart
post #3 of 10 Old 09-08-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

I get what you are referring too in terms of resolution, but what about in terms of motion blur (I'm guessing this is processor speed)? In our main living room we have a 47" 120hz Sony LCD that is 4 years old and I can notice the blur during sporting events and when there is panning in a movie. My understanding is that the 240hz would help to reduce this. This is why I am thinking plasma, or the 240hz Samsung LED, and why I am skeptical of the LG 120hz.

I may be way off in my thinking here and is the reason why I have turned to the AVS forum.

Thanks for your input.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 AM

Liked: 11
I don't think distance would change the perception of motion blur. I went with Plasma because of it. When I had to decided about a year ago, I read that the faster refresh can add artifacts, make the image pop or look plastic like. Also research the difference between true increase in hardware refresh rate vs. enhancements applied to get a higher refresh effect on a lower true refresh rate. I'm not sure which the LG is doing.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-08-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Have you considered a projector? A DLP projector with 3D that has no ghosting issues, no motion blur, and a very bright picture will cost less than your $3k budget and that includes the screen. You should have no problem doing it for $2K or less.

From 15' back I would lean towards a 120-130" screen.

My screen is 125" and I love watching movies and TV on it. 3D is far superior to any plasma or LED HDTV I have watched.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-09-2012, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

To be honest, a projector wasn't even on my radar. I have never seen first hand, a projector's performance. Are there stores where you can check out projector's? With a quick search, it looks like the Benq W7000 would be a decent DLP 3D projector at about $2,200. What kind of costs would be reasonable for a screen? And for projector installation... I have a finished room, so bringing power and an HDMI source won't be an easy task... at least from my understanding.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Runkle View Post

To be honest, a projector wasn't even on my radar. I have never seen first hand, a projector's performance. Are there stores where you can check out projector's? With a quick search, it looks like the Benq W7000 would be a decent DLP 3D projector at about $2,200. What kind of costs would be reasonable for a screen? And for projector installation... I have a finished room, so bringing power and an HDMI source won't be an easy task... at least from my understanding.

You can get the BenQ with a 120" screen, mount, remote, cable, etc for $2337:
http://www.visualapex.com/projector-package-deals/BenQ-projector-packages.asp?for-the=W7000

You have two options for mounting the projector, on a rear shelf, or on the ceiling. If your room allows, the rear shelf is obviously the easiest. Otherwise you are probably looking at $300 or so for someone to run power and cabling in the ceiling.

Look for audio video retailers near you that may have a demo room.

I have been using a front projector in my media room for the last 6 years and love them. If you have good light control, the picture quality can rival that of a very good HDTV, but on a much larger scale,
post #8 of 10 Old 09-10-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I see others have mentioned it but consider a projector.
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
link is great for helping you get the right idea of size based on your distance on what you wants.
Some of the larget Best Buys in your area should have a screening room setup for you to view.

Good luck!
post #9 of 10 Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ack bk for the link. That looks to be a good package at a great price. I definitely want to go see some projectors in action. Honestly, how important is the screen? The package you provided a link to can only be including a screen worth $200-$300. Would a screen of this quality suffice. The local AV store starting point for screens is $1,600. Also, what about gain? That package includes a screen with a gain of 1.1. From what I have been reading about gain and this Benq W7000 projector is that since it is a bright projector with slightly less performance capability in producing blacks, that a screen with a gain of 0.8 might be the way to go.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-10-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Runkle View Post

Thanks Ack bk for the link. That looks to be a good package at a great price. I definitely want to go see some projectors in action. Honestly, how important is the screen? The package you provided a link to can only be including a screen worth $200-$300. Would a screen of this quality suffice. The local AV store starting point for screens is $1,600. Also, what about gain? That package includes a screen with a gain of 1.1. From what I have been reading about gain and this Benq W7000 projector is that since it is a bright projector with slightly less performance capability in producing blacks, that a screen with a gain of 0.8 might be the way to go.

From all accounts the Visual Apex screen is a good quality screen. Yes, you can certainly spend more but screens, IMHO are definitelty diminishing value if you are on a budget. Here is a review of the Visual Apex screen brand from a trusted reviewer:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog/2011/10/31/an-update-on-the-vapex-106-projector-screen-review-new-tensioned-motorized-version/

For a step above, I like Carada.
http://www.carada.com/

Local AV stores probably have a good $600-700 markup vs Internet direct.

As for gain, I use 1.2 on a 125" screen. Consider with 3D you lose about 75% of the brightness behind the glasses, and projector bulbs dim over time. I think 1.1 is fine with that BenQ.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page