Cooling AV/Server Closet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-13-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone,

I have come to the forums looking for some advice and opinions from the rest of you out there. I will do my best to share any information that I have and I hope someone along the way finds it useful.

I currently a makeshift Audio/Video/Server closes that I have created from on half of a clothes closet in my house. It currently contains the following, Harmon/Kardon AVR, Direct TV DVR, Old school Amp for Subs, Cable Modem, Router, Access Point, Apple TV, and Xbox360. As of right now I have no ventilation and leave the door open. The equipment is rarely on and when it is it is for maybe 2 hours at a time. Once winter gets here I will be spending more and more time inside and this will be on for longer periods of time and will need to keep it cool. I will also be adding a 1U rack mount server and a 24 Port managed switch to the mix soon, this will replace my current router.

I have been thinking of the best way to cool this area and this is what I have come up with. I will be adding a ~120cfm exhaust fan to the ceiling and then cutting a vent into the bottom of the wall that faces the climate controlled room. This will allow cool are to come in from the bottom and exhaust the hot air out the top.

My snag is I would like to put this fan on some sort of thermostat and have not found a good way to do this. I would like to mount something on the outside of the wall that is digital and will turn the fan on when it gets above 78. If it has to be inside the closet that will be fine also.

Anyone have any simple but creative ideas on how to do this? I have read some people getting 12V relays and connecting that to the fan, but I'd really like to stay away from custom stuff like that. If I could get an exhaust fan that was digitally climate controlled I would be set.

I had also thought about adding a vent to the top of the closet with a fan that would vent out hot air into the room in the winter to help heat the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-13-2012, 02:51 PM

Liked: 32
Vent at the top to allow heat to exhaust into the rest of the home, vent at the bottom in the door, to allow air to be pulled up through convection. Placing a fan into the attic is actually going to cause more problems than good. If you want to use a fan to vent, use something like a bath exhaust fan with a very low Sone rating. Depending on how big the closet is, it should not require a very large CFM.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-13-2012, 02:54 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Vent at the top to allow heat to exhaust into the rest of the home, vent at the bottom in the door, to allow air to be pulled up through convection. Placing a fan into the attic is actually going to cause more problems than good. If you want to use a fan to vent, use something like a bath exhaust fan with a very low Sone rating. Depending on how big the closet is, it should not require a very large CFM.

And you can connect that to a product like this. I have not used this exact product before though. I built my own last time it was needed but it was more for learning than savings, it was a lot more work than it was worth lol.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-13-2012, 03:43 PM

Liked: 32
Actually you cannot use that item with a hardwired fan, such as I mentioned. They do make specific sensors to turn on and off fans, which are used for attic fans, which would be the better solution, if you wanted the fan to turn on at set temp of the thermostat, and back off, when the closet reaches the set point that you have the thermostatic control set at.

The better unit to use, which is the proper way, would be http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=attic+fan+thermostat+control&sprefix=attic+fan+therm%2Caps%2C368 Keep in mind that using the wording that I did, it will return anything with Attic, Fan, thermostat, control as keywords.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-14-2012, 06:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Actually you cannot use that item with a hardwired fan, such as I mentioned. They do make specific sensors to turn on and off fans, which are used for attic fans, which would be the better solution, if you wanted the fan to turn on at set temp of the thermostat, and back off, when the closet reaches the set point that you have the thermostatic control set at.
The better unit to use, which is the proper way, would be http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=attic+fan+thermostat+control&sprefix=attic+fan+therm%2Caps%2C368 Keep in mind that using the wording that I did, it will return anything with Attic, Fan, thermostat, control as keywords.

Ah, missed that it was hard wired, I was thinking along the lines of the bathroom fan since many of them have standard outlet plugs that Ive seen. But it is correct the one I linked only works if its a standard outlet.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page