Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-28-2000, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Hi,

Still learning, thanks to help from readers of this and other forums. Here goes another question:

What kind of advantages can I find by purchasing a scaler/doubler (iScan, CI, etc)? Would such a device be the same for DVD source material as the SD5109 progressive scan DVD? I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy this DVD player, or a line doubler. Any thoughts are welcome, as well as recommendations.

I plan on waiting for the Dish Network 6000 HDTV receiver when it is released (hopefully this spring) before I can view HDTV source material. Unfortunately, the Dish 6000 does not include a line doubler (I don't believe).

I am wondering how to best improve non-HD source - standard TV broadcasts, VHS, etc. Any advice or guidance is appreciated. If there is an alternative to waiting for the 6000, I am not against going for Dish's current approach to HDTV (modulator) with the right equipment.

Thanks much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-29-2000, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Thanks Whaid for the post ... I was also trying to decide whether to upgrade my dvd player to the 5109 or just get a line doubler. Guess I have my answer ... if anyone is looking for a Toshiba 3109 dvd player, it will be available on EBAY this afternoon http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Crow331 (edited February 29, 2000).]
post #3 of 3 Old 03-01-2000, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Thanks much for the posts. I have ordered the SD5109, and am eager for its arrival to coincide with Thursday, when I pick up the set.

** I'm seriously thinking about getting a case of the sniffles on Friday, hehe **

For the time being, I will be content with the internal line doubler of the Toshiba for non DVD viewing, and will continue to monitor and research the upcoming possibilities.

Nethawk
New enthusiast of HT (I'm convinced this stands for "Here Tomorrow") http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page