Need some quick help please....Dish DVR and Receiver connection via HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am installing a new receiver (Onkyo 717). I hooked up the Dish VIP722 DVR to the Receiver via HDMI. I get NO display on the TV.

I then connected the old component cables and I get a display on the TV.

So I tried another HDMI cable and still nothing.

Then I tried hooking up a WD TV Live to the receiver (Onkyo 717) and here again, NO display.

Is there a setting on the DVR that I need to change? Or a setting on the Receiver?

Likewise with the WD, is there a setting to push out via HDMI instead of composite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 01:45 PM

Liked: 32
Did you go through the set up on the receiver, and also make sure that you have the output on the av receiver connected to the tv, and the Input correct on the tv?
post #3 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Initial set up complete
Output to TV is done and verified by the fact that the dvr component connection works
Input on tv is correct also verified as above

I checked the onkyo manual and it does not indicate that there is automatic switching... Or not
post #4 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadratx View Post

Initial set up complete
Output to TV is done and verified by the fact that the dvr component connection works
I checked the onkyo manual and it does not indicate that there is automatic switching... Or not

Sounds like a HDMI handshake problem to me. If that is the problem there is not too much you can do about it until your satellite company updates their software. The problem is that this is a moving target as the copy protection is constantly changing. Hollywood is hung up on people "sharing" movies and has instituted all kinds of "safeguards" to keep that from happening now. All that does is piss off the general population even more and makes them more determined to "borrow" movies. Out of curiosity you might try hooking up your blu ray player via HDMI and see if that will work. If it does that will tell you it is an HDMI handshake problem and your DVR receiver software needs to be updated. I have Directv, and they have this problem too, but have greatly improved it with software updates. Directv still has some combinations that do not work well together and their current solution is to send the subscriber a set of component cables.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

How do we explain the wd tv live issue then? It has the same problem.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:

How do we explain the wd tv live issue then? It has the same problem.

I am not familiar with how the WD Live thing works but still think it could be a HDMI handshake issue. If that WD Live thing downloads movies my guess is they have some kind of copy protection embedded in them. I could be wrong on where the software needs updated. It could be your AVR's software that needs updated and not your Dish receiver. Have you tried hooking up your Dish receiver directly and bypassing the AVR?
post #7 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:

Initial set up complete

DVR component connection to the Onkyo? Component or HDMI out from the Onkyo to the TV? Component output from the Onkyo doesn't prove anything about the HDMI connections...

With the Onkyo connected to the TV with HDMI only, can you see the on-screen display / setup menu / digital streaming sources built into the Onkyo? Have you connected the HDMI cable to the main output (not the 'sub' output) on the Onkyo?

Did you connect the DVR via HDMI direct to the TV? Have you been using the DVR with component or HDMI previously? Same question for the WD TV. Use the same HDMI input for this testing.

What model of TV? Is this a recent unit or several years old?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #8 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

DVR component connection to the Onkyo? Component or HDMI out from the Onkyo to the TV? Component output from the Onkyo doesn't prove anything about the HDMI connections...
With the Onkyo connected to the TV with HDMI only, can you see the on-screen display / setup menu / digital streaming sources built into the Onkyo? Have you connected the HDMI cable to the main output (not the 'sub' output) on the Onkyo?
Did you connect the DVR via HDMI direct to the TV? Have you been using the DVR with component or HDMI previously? Same question for the WD TV. Use the same HDMI input for this testing.
What model of TV? Is this a recent unit or several years old?

Component out from the Onkyo to the TV

older tv... no HDMI ....Mitsubishi WS55413 ...no onscreen display
post #9 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:

jautor just proved to you what I have been saying all along. You have a HDMI handshake issue with your new AVR. Unless you can download new firmware for it the only workaround for the time being is to use component cables.

I just remembered that when I set up my Onkyo you had to assign ports to the various options like s-video to Video 1. Have you done that?
post #10 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

jautor just proved to you what I have been saying all along. You have a HDMI handshake issue with your new AVR. Unless you can download new firmware for it the only workaround for the time being is to use component cables.
I just remembered that when I set up my Onkyo you had to assign ports to the various options like s-video to Video 1. Have you done that?

I have not done that. The manual is pretty useless. Can you walk me thru it? Keep in mind I don't have on screen display.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, there's your problem. There is NO conversion from HDMI to component on any receiver. You will need to run everything via component video. HDMI will NOT work for you.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #12 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Ok, there's your problem. There is NO conversion from HDMI to component on any receiver. You will need to run everything via component video. HDMI will NOT work for you.
Jeff

What do you make of Post #15....
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428939/need-some-guidance-on-upgrading-my-home-theater-receiver#post_22410063

I was under the belief that upgrading to a receiver with HDMI inputs would allow me to run my WD TV Live (which is much like a Roku or Apple TV) through the theater system. Is Post 15 wrong?

There is no component outputs on the WD....only composite (yuck) or HDMI.

I am so freaking confused.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:

I have not done that. The manual is pretty useless. Can you walk me thru it? Keep in mind I don't have on screen display.

It has been some time since I have done that and my manual is buried away someplace in the basement. I do remember my manual was like a small telephone book though so I am surprised at you saying yours is useless. You might check online and see if there is a more complete manual for your AVR. So many ot these tech companies are cutting costs by just enclosing a quick start guide now days. I am confused at jautor's last post. On my Onkyo all ports are live all the time except that you need to assign them. The only display you will need is the one on the AVR. I remember when I first set mine up I had some questions and called the Onkyo tech line. It was about useless. I bought my AVR from a guy online so I couldn't get any help from him either. I got out my Yellow Pages and called an Onkyo dealer and they were very helpful even though I didn't buy my AVR from them. You might try that.

PS: One other thought I had. You might go on the AVR Forum part of AVS and ask your questions. This part of AVS is more focused on building and setting up a Home Theater.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you make of Post #15....
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428939/need-some-guidance-on-upgrading-my-home-theater-receiver#post_22410063
I was under the belief that upgrading to a receiver with HDMI inputs would allow me to run my WD TV Live (which is much like a Roku or Apple TV) through the theater system. Is Post 15 wrong?

Different topic, really. Yes, many (most?) newer AVRs will upconvert just about anything *to* HDMI. But once the signal is HDMI, it will NOT convert it "down" to an analog signal like component video. While not a true copy protection scheme, it is prohibited by the HDMI group to supposedly prevent "easy" copying of material.
Quote:
There is no component outputs on the WD....only composite (yuck) or HDMI.

There are some external devices (HDFury, and monoprice has one) to convert HDMI to component video.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011410&p_id=8125&seq=1&format=2

I would suggest trying that on the output of a single device (the WDTV), or ensuring that all HDMI devices in your setup are fixed at the same resolution - these converters work better when things don't change around them...

Jeff

post #15 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all your help, macfan and jautor.

I'm given up for now. AV stuff is above my pay grade

when my tv bites the dust, I'll hire a pro to fix me up with a new receiver and tv at the same time....along with whatever new goodies are out by then
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page