Need advice with studio loft condo projector setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some help. I'm assisting my son, who just bought a new studio loft, with a projector and screen installation. Here is the layout of the condo:

The screen will be installed in this large window, which is very close to a 16x9 ratio. The inside dimenstions of the window are: 118" wide, 61" high:

We are initially considering a Panasonic PT-AR100u projector due to the brightness and the fact that there will be light coming in from the upper windows (unless we figure out a way to shade them)

Ceilings are 11' tall.

Questions:

1) what type of screen should we consider? It ideally should be electric and remote controlled.
2) what other projectors should we consider? use will be a mixture of sports, movies and some limited gaming
3) I know this is the projector forum, but if anyone has recommendations for thin, on-wall speakers, I'd appreciate it.

I am thinking the projector needs to be about 14' from the screen and ideally will be hung from the ceiling. (waiting for an electrician to provide estimate and to see if it's feasible)

We are hoping that we can hide the electronics in the front coat closet and just run a single HDMI to the projector.

What else do I need to consider? I'm new to the world of projectors.

Thanks very much,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

I moved this from the projectors forum. Someone over there suggested we mount the projector on the short wall near the dining area. This is a good idea and we will see if we can mount a shelf on that wall.

Any other suggestions and things to consider and watch out for?
post #3 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic-PT-AR100U-projection-calculator-pro.htm
check this site out, make sure you are in the window of acceptabliity for your screen size and throw distance.
If you can make the lens shift work with keeping the screen centered in the window, more power to ya.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #4 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Is it impossible to mount the screen on the living room wall instead of the windows? I'm guessing it probably won't work on the living room wall, but had to ask. I would just advise you to get very good room darkening shades for the windows, and then hang some lined curtains over the shades. If your talking Football, I would find a way to block the upper windows too, that's a very bright room. Could you cut some foam board to fit int the upper window space? That way if you wanted to use it during the day time you could block some of the light, and they should be easy to remove otherwise.

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432252/dry-lake-cinema

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #5 of 10 Old 10-04-2012, 03:31 AM

Wiring this up could be a real test. You haven't shared whether the space below the living area is accessible or already finished to allow wiring, or is there any attic space above the ceiling? You have speaker wires, power for your source gear. RF (coax) , phone and or data for Cable, Satellite or Internet based programming,, power for the projector, power for the screen motor and connection from the source gear to the projector to worry about along with how you will operate your source gear located outside the line of site needed for most IR based remote systems to function without adding a repeater of some sort.
In terms of speakers, Definitive Technology makes some very nice, low profile on wall speakers, as does Paradigm and Totem. aside from a deal on Ebay, most of these are not going to be the least expensive speaker you can purchase. If you don't care about drywall repair or leaving hardware behind when your son moves, have you considered in wall speakers? Probably a step down, sound wise unless you invest in some Triad or James models, but as low profile as you can get.
you are going to need a subwoofer with something more than an 8" woofer in a bandpass enclosure, you are going to need something that will move some air in that big space, especially if the ceiling is vaulted.

post #6 of 10 Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic-PT-AR100U-projection-calculator-pro.htm
check this site out, make sure you are in the window of acceptabliity for your screen size and throw distance.
If you can make the lens shift work with keeping the screen centered in the window, more power to ya.

Thanks for the link. I think we can get the projector to about 11-12' from the screen. I just hope there can be enougn lens shift to compensate for the angle.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post

Wiring this up could be a real test. You haven't shared whether the space below the living area is accessible or already finished to allow wiring, or is there any attic space above the ceiling? You have speaker wires, power for your source gear. RF (coax) , phone and or data for Cable, Satellite or Internet based programming,, power for the projector, power for the screen motor and connection from the source gear to the projector to worry about along with how you will operate your source gear located outside the line of site needed for most IR based remote systems to function without adding a repeater of some sort.
In terms of speakers, Definitive Technology makes some very nice, low profile on wall speakers, as does Paradigm and Totem. aside from a deal on Ebay, most of these are not going to be the least expensive speaker you can purchase. If you don't care about drywall repair or leaving hardware behind when your son moves, have you considered in wall speakers? Probably a step down, sound wise unless you invest in some Triad or James models, but as low profile as you can get.
you are going to need a subwoofer with something more than an 8" woofer in a bandpass enclosure, you are going to need something that will move some air in that big space, especially if the ceiling is vaulted.

Bingo. The wiring will be our biggest challenge. We have an electrician coming for a quote for the wiring. They will have to be snaked through the wall since this is on the 1st floor and there are units above and below.

We will check out the speaker recommendations, thanks.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 PM

Hi all- the condo in question is my place. Thanks for the advice so far, I'll post an update after the electrician takes a look at the feasibility of the wiring. The projector can be mounted at viewing height on the small wall, but it is about 2 feet horizontally off center which seems like a lot for lens shift to compensate for. The throw distance from there would be almost exactly 11'. Which looks like it would result in a diagonal image of 114", slightly less than I was hoping for but acceptable. Seems our biggest challenges are the wiring and the ambient light from the window. Any further advice on screen options? Can't afford a black diamond zero edge unfortunately. What mid-range electric screens do well in brighter rooms? I've been hearing Da-lite are a safe bet?

Cheers
post #9 of 10 Old 10-06-2012, 05:23 AM

been installing DaLite screens almost exclusively on campus. motors have been pretty good, screen material doesn't stick to itself after it ages pricing is fair. I believe black out coating to prevent ambient light behind the screen from interfering with the picture is standard. Check out the Contour Electrol series of surface mount screen. Modern looking case, not like something you would see in a classroom. Don't be intimidated by the retail pricing, you should be able to do 20% better than that if you shop around.

post #10 of 10 Old 10-06-2012, 05:36 AM

just a thought on gaining another foot or so on centering your projector. Check out mounting this shelf on the narrow end of the short wall, sort of hanging into the dining area. http://www.omnimount.com/products/wall_furniture/ecs/
Lagged into that endcap, it would easily hold that little projector. I would give some thought on finding some furniture you could tuck into that corner for your source gear. would make wiring things worlds easier.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page