Downsizing to a small apartment - Need help with setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-04-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, hoping someone has had a similar issue and can offer advice -

Currently live in a large home in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin.... I am relocating for Minneapolis for work and will be moving into an apartment that is the same square footage as my current home theater room/bar.

Current basement setup is:
110" screen + HD20 projector
55" LED next to the screen (yes two displays side by side - blame nfl sunday ticket)
Main sources are - HTPC, PS3, Direct TV box - all have the HDMI signal split - one side going to the LED tv the other going to a receiver....

The receiver feeds the projector and a 5.1 surround setup....

this is all in a 25'x35' basement and works great... hangup is the new apartment is less square feet than my current basement room.

**My plan**
My current idea is to have a low rising tv stand that the TV would sit on (upper wall of photo above ^).... above the stand (there are 12' ceilings in the apt.) have some ikea "floating" cabinets, then cut a 88" x 3" hole in the bottom of the cabinet then a motorized drop down screen would come out come of cabinet through that hole (would hide the screen and cords from the Mrs.).... and hopefully (haven't measured yet) the screen would stop ~6" above the top of the TV screen.

I would have the projector hidden on top of the cabinets in the kitchen so I could get a full throw needed to fill the screen.

New apartment layout:

Any other ideas or thoughts on how to keep a similar setup despite the extreme drop in space?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You will more than likely need to minimize your ambitious plans somewhat. Your screen, by itself, will be over-scaled given the size of the room where you plan to use it. I don't think your future space will be a good candidate for your plans with your current setup. This is my first impression; sorry to be the harbinger of bad news.

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #3 of 3 Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a very similarly sized condo living room to you (but without those ceilings!). Mine is 13.5 x 18.5.

I am setting up a ~17ft throw from on top of a cabinet to a 92 inch screen. A 92 inch screen is 80 inches wide... and for my viewing distance pretty large. I would find your screen too large for that room, but if you like that kind of viewing angle, all the more power to you. I have the 47 inch tv off to the side at an angle so I can fit both in, but I do not have a closet on the right as you do. I only have a side by side because the middle of the wall, and entire left side of the living room is a wall of windows, otherwise I would have the TV in the center. Both of my screens are smaller than yours, and my room is a foot wider so that will not work for you.

If you need dual screens I think you would be better off doing picture n picture on the big screen, or getting a second 55. A second 55 would probably look better than going back and forth between a FP and LCD anyways. (Maybe your projector is a lot brighter than mine?) Also remember that light control can be more difficult in your apt than a basement.

Mounting the screen that high will not be fun unless you have some crazy recliners, and even then what would you do about sound? The cabinets might also look strange mounted that high. The bottom would be above the height of my ceiling. eek.gif
There would be a strange gap above the TV. If you were to mount it that high, you should just fix the screen anyways.

So overall, If I were you I would just have the screen come down and cover the tv (or tv's if I had the budget and WAF).

I am really curious to see how it turns out though!

PS: Here is my setup. The screen is to the left of the tv. http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3572/topna.jpg
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page