future proofing my living room with speaker wire? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-07-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to replace the carpet in my living room and want to run speaker while while I'm at it. I currently have a set up with 3 in the front and 2 in the rear along with a sub, however, I want to upgrade my receiver and speakers soon. The room is large so I have some room to work with. How many speaker wires should I consider running in the front and the back to future proof my system for the next 5-10 years?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-07-2012, 03:56 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwelks View Post

I'm going to replace the carpet in my living room and want to run speaker while while I'm at it. I currently have a set up with 3 in the front and 2 in the rear along with a sub, however, I want to upgrade my receiver and speakers soon. The room is large so I have some room to work with. How many speaker wires should I consider running in the front and the back to future proof my system for the next 5-10 years?
Thanks.

If you are saying that you are going to run speaker wire under that new carpet, that is not a good idea unless you are somehow going to protect it from being walked on. You might be able to run it under the baseboard molding if you are going to be pulling that up. You could cut a grove for the speaker wire in either the back side of the molding or in the wall.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

The carpet will also have padding underneath it.

1. If I run the wire under or on top of the padding will that make a difference?

2. What is the best way to run HDMI under the carpet? Is this a bad idea if it is also placed under the padding or on top of it? If so, I can look into running it along the baseboards, however, what is the max recommended distance for running HDMI cable?

Thanks.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
I have coax cable under my bedroom carpet from the previous owner. You can see it, and I notice it every morning when I step on it. Just my 2 cents.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 AM

I wouldn't run it directly underneath your carpet but instead run it along the baseboard like mentioned earlier.

Or something like this http://howtoinstallflatspeakercable.com/
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page