help with placement! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 10-09-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So it looks like it is time for me to finally upgrade my living room entertainment system. As you can see below, my current entertainment system is pretty out dated, due to the fact that I hardly spend time in the living room and I moved it all into my bedroom. When the entertainment system was in the living room, it's pretty much what it is now, but I had my 55" plasma sitting in place of that puny 27", receiver was under the tv, and the towers were sitting on each side. This placement however did not yield me the best results sound quality wise. I know this because when I moved everything into my bedroom, it was night and day because my bedroom is a straight rectangle with no odd shapes in place like the fireplace in the living room. The sound is way fuller, bass notes are nice, clean, tight and deep only from the towers. Because of the dramatic improvement in sound quality I no longer use a sub. In the living room, the sound stage was wider (because I was able to place the towers further apart), but was not as full sounding and a total lack of bass from the towers.

The system that is currently in my bedroom that used to be in the living room is a 55" Panasonic plasma tv (tc-p50st30), onkyo receiver (ht-rc270), klipsch rf-52 towers.

I believe the reason I was lacking bass and a full sound stage was because of the fireplace.

Below are pictures, sketches and measurements of my living room. Ideas or changes are welcomed! Budget for the new system is $5000. Current plans are a 2.1 system which will probably consist of the Klipsch RF-7II (b-stock; ebay), Marantz sr7005, svs or hsu subwoofer, and a 50-55" plasma. Reason I chose the Klipsch RF-7II's are because of the type of music I listen to (trance). I recently went to the Best Buy magnolia section to demo all the towers they had in there and nothing they had in there came close to my rf-52s. The only one that sounded just as good and with a wider sound stage were a pair of B&W's. The def techs, energy's, Martin Logans, etc... were tinny and hollow sounding. Maybe it was the room placement etc... but that was my analysis at the time. I also brought in some cd's to test as well; DJ Tiesto - Just Be, DJ Tiesto - Parade Of The Athletes, Tron Legacy Soundtrack, Queen of the Damned Soundtrack.

DSC05061.jpg
DSC05064.jpg
DSC05065.jpg
DSC05067.jpg

LivingRoom1.jpg

The only gripe I have about this setup is because of how the sofas are placed. My neck would hate me!
LivingRoom2.jpg

This is similar to how I had it before. But the TV was sitting in front of the fireplace rather than on top of it. This would be my last option because I know the fireplace would cancel out most of the mid to lower frequencies.
LivingRoom3.jpg
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page