How to drill through ceiling top plate (double) with tight angle due to the roof - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to run 2 HDMIs, 1 cat5e, 1 component video cable, and 1 3.5-mm stereo plug cable down this wall (see pictures) and across the attic to the other side of the room, where the projector is located. My problem is the tight space creates by the roof and the double plate.

What is the best approach to accomplish my goal? Would 3/4" drill bit and a right angle drill work? Or is the space too tight for such drilling? Can I drill the holes at an angle and off center?

Pictures taken before the dry wall was installed. The wall is completely finished now, so no way to drill from below the top plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelik View Post

I want to run 2 HDMIs, 1 cat5e, 1 component video cable, and 1 3.5-mm stereo plug cable down this wall (see pictures) and across the attic to the other side of the room, where the projector is located. My problem is the tight space creates by the roof and the double plate.
What is the best approach to accomplish my goal? Would 3/4" drill bit and a right angle drill work? Or is the space too tight for such drilling? Can I drill the holes at an angle and off center?

I guess I am confused by your picture and description. Why it is a problem if you drill from the bottom up instead of the top down? Only thing I would add to make the job easier is to use a Irwin Speedbor round bit and not a spade bit.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-10-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I wasn't clear. The pictures were taken when the house was being built. I anticipate project such as building a home theater, so I took pictures. The wall is finished now with dry wall. There is no way for me to drill from below. I asked the builder at the time if I can drill a few holes, but the answer was "no". Now, either I cut into the dry wall or drill from above. Cutting the dry wall is not my top choice.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-10-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 353
You can get a long, flexible drill bit to essentially fish up the wall and drill through the plate from below. Or a right-angle drill from above assuming you can get that close to it... Won't be easy either way, especially if there's insulation in that wall now. Cutting the drywall near the ceiling and patching may be the least aggravating path.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 6 Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I've done it with a flexible drill bit from above, too... If you can set your fist upright on the top plate, there's probably enough room to bend the bit.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 6 Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 AM

This is my new area of "expertise" lol...just did something similar but yours looks alot easier due to the pitch of the roof. You should be able to get a flexi bit in there.
Any pics from the outside? It *might* be easier and cheaper(wont have to buy the specialized bit) to go outside and peel back the soffit panel.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page