Looking for a wiring diagram/advice on running 3 TV's in one room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hello. Moving to larger space with a sweet bar/game room. Have a bad case of upgraditis and need advice. I'm hoping the attached photo is viewable but basically currently have the following

Samsung 51 inch PN51E530
Samsung blu Ray HTIB HT-D6730
PS3
Dish Reciever
Harmony One Remote

This was a relatively simple set up. HDMI from PVR to HTIB and from PS3 to HTIB and from HTIB to TV. Have an optical cable from TV to HTIB. Works lovely. Especially love the harmony remote!

I am moving into a new place, and will be (if this works without MAJOR headaches) putting my other identical TV (currently in bedroom) opposite this this TV and another TV yet to purchase (likely the Samsung UN60ES8000) in the middle... so will have a 60 inch TV in the middle a 50 inch tv on either side of it. Lets call them TV 1, 2, and 3 from left to right (2 being the big center one)

What I want it to do (and bear with me- I dont know ALL the lingo) Id like to be able to run a different input on each TV- Basically have a different football game on each TV with the audio coming from the center TV. I'd also like to be able to switch between the TVs. For example, If Im watching the packers game on TV 2, a badgers game on TV 1, and the Bears game and TV 3 the audio would be running the Packers game... Now if the Pack game is on commercial and/or we see a big play on TV 1, Id like to press a button to swtich so that the packer game is on TV 1, the badgers game is on TV 2 and the audio is the badgers game. Obviously, would want to do the same between TV 3 and TV 2. I hope this makes sense? My main questions are what is my best option(s) here both functionality wise and price wise. Eventually I plan to get an actual av reciever and upgrade my surround set up so if it involves a reciever, that is ok. Is this possible, what DISH/Cable reciver is best, do I need an AV reciver and what would you reccomend, will my remote work or is there one that would work better, and most importantly do you have a wiring diagram or video to explain how to do this?

I would also like to be able to play PS3 and have a computer hooked up (both HDMI) to center TV, being able to switch JUST the audio between all 3 tv's. Is this even possible? Thanks.

The first picture is my current setup (red is input, blue is output, purple is HDMI, orange is optical, The right side picture is the hardware I will have (minus my computer, and any additional DISH/Cable Box and AV reciever) Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
4x4 HDMI matrix, with 3 set-top boxes as inputs and the PS3. Run one output to each display and the 4th to the AVR / HTiB. Now you can choose audio (well, you'll HAVE to) independent of video. Unless you just want the audio to follow what's on the central (main) TV - then you'd use one matrix output through the AVR to the center...

And do an iPad / iRule remote control setup with all these choices on one screen so mere mortals can run it...

Jeff
CMonMan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast reply jaustor!

Are there any alternatives to the apple products? Have not bought any apple products and would prefer not to start now.. I'm trying to research HDMI matrixes, but other than listing the features, I'm having a hard time finding a video of someone showing how they work. Thanks again.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

Thanks for the fast reply jaustor!
Are there any alternatives to the apple products? Have not bought any apple products and would prefer not to start now.. I'm trying to research HDMI matrixes, but other than listing the features, I'm having a hard time finding a video of someone showing how they work. Thanks again.

I am not sure why you would have an aversion to Apple products but then again I avoid Microsoft products like the plague, LOL, so I guess we are even. Anyway, I am not familiar with Dish as I have Directv, but does Dish have a receiver that offers picture in picture ability as my HR34 does? If it does that would make what you want to do a whole lot simpler and perhaps cheaper.
CMonMan likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.dish.com/technology/receivers-dvrs/#dvr-receivers

This is a link to their recievers. It looks like both the DuoDVR® ViP 722k and the SoloDVR 512 have PIP. I'm also not opposed to going to Direct TV. Please explain, as I'm open to ideas.

Oh, and the Apple thing is mainly because I've been very satisfied with numerous Samsung products. I also am not a fan on the apple styling. I also don't like how many devices limit what the end user is able to access in their software. I also do not like how a lot of their stuff is propietary such as their cables and itunes. With the above, I still wasn't opposed to them until they sued my Samsung,

post #6 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

http://www.dish.com/technology/receivers-dvrs/#dvr-receivers
This is a link to their recievers. It looks like both the DuoDVR® ViP 722k and the SoloDVR 512 have PIP. I'm also not opposed to going to Direct TV. Please explain, as I'm open to ideas.
Oh, and the Apple thing is mainly because I've been very satisfied with numerous Samsung products. I also am not a fan on the apple styling. I also don't like how many devices limit what the end user is able to access in their software. I also do not like how a lot of their stuff is propietary such as their cables and itunes. With the above, I still wasn't opposed to them until they sued my Samsung,

I was just thinking you could do what you want with just two large flat screens, two PiP receivers, and your Harmony remote to control it all. A lot fewer wires and playing around. My Wally World has an 80" Sharp on display. It sure is sweet although the 73" is much cheaper. I don't want to get into a war over brands but here in S.E. Michigan we are advised to stay away from Samsung TVs and BD players for being the #1 DOA right out of the box. YMMV where you are.
CMonMan likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

You can run iRule on an Android tablet or phone. No problem...
CMonMan likes this.

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #8 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

I did see that after looking into the iRule. May be time to get a tablet afterall.... likely a samsung galaxy note 10.1 I'm just curious how that would work with 3 samsung tv's, 2 of which being the same model... and having likely 3 DISH/Cable boxes, likely the same model.... can the remote somehow differentiate between the devices? I don't want to change the channel on all three when I tell it to change the channel on the box TV1... also don't want to change the input on other tvs when I just tell it to change the input on one tv.. Does that make sense?

I did look into the HDMI matrix switcher. New product to me, but certainly looks like it's what I need. Am leaning towards an 8 x 8 as it may come in handy with any future outbreaks of upgraditis. Any recommendations on models/brands to look at? I like the bells and whistles, especially if they make things easier to control. Basically looks like I just need to find the right switcher and the biggest question is that can the iRule (using a tablet..possibly smartphone in the future) differentiate between the tv''s and Dish/cable boxes if they are the same brand/model? I know even right now, my harmony works on two samsung TV's..... They are in different rooms now so not a problem, but when they are side by side, how would the iRule differentiate them?? Have looked into the Irule.. does anyone have a video or even picture of a layout that uses multiple displays? I also played with the Irule builder on their site... seems a bit complicated to me. Do you know what the pros would charge to set it up OR better yet would any of you awesome people be able to get the layout on the Irule set up in exchange for thank you? Thanks for the help.

post #9 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did see that after looking into the iRule. May be time to get a tablet afterall.... likely a samsung galaxy note 10.1 I'm just curious how that would work with 3 samsung tv's, 2 of which being the same model... and having likely 3 DISH/Cable boxes, likely the same model.... can the remote somehow differentiate between the devices? I don't want to change the channel on all three when I tell it to change the channel on the box TV1... also don't want to change the input on other tvs when I just tell it to change the input on one tv.. Does that make sense?

Yes, you'll use a device such as a Global Cache iTach to convert the TCP/IP commands back into IR. The iTach and similar devices have addressable IR outputs, so you can have multiple identical devices supported by placing the IR emitters on different IR output paths. Careful placement and covering of the emitters will prevent the final signal from being "seen" by other identical devices. Many set top boxes have selectable IR codesets to avoid this issue (which creates its own problems).
Quote:
I did look into the HDMI matrix switcher. New product to me, but certainly looks like it's what I need. Am leaning towards an 8 x 8 as it may come in handy with any future outbreaks of upgraditis.

You might want to check the prices of the 8x8 before you go down that path. If you don't foresee an immediate need for more than 4 sources, stick with the 4x4.
Quote:
I also played with the Irule builder on their site... seems a bit complicated to me.

It's very powerful, and a blank slate of tools. Plan accordingly... biggrin.gif
Quote:
Do you know what the pros would charge to set it up OR better yet would any of you awesome people be able to get the layout on the Irule set up in exchange for thank you? Thanks for the help.

It's a non-trivial setup,don't expect anyone to do that work for free - we're talking many hours of experience-required work...

Jeff
CMonMan likes this.

Theater build photos:

post #10 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Jautor. Global Cache iTach is a new product to me as well, but after reading up on that device, I think I've got an idea on what equipment I need. You've been a huge help.

I do think I'll go with the 8x8. I don't like buying things I don't need, but I really don't like buying things twice. I have a strong feeling a tv behind the bar, a tv in the bathroom, a PC, and other future components are in the future and want to make sure it's as future proof as possible.

Have been playing with iRule a bit more and watching some tutorials... I think between whats already available online and the wealth of knowledge on this site, I'll take a stab at it myself. Looks like an excellent software.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page